This delicious cowboy caviar is made with fresh ingredients and is a favorite appetizer dip. Made with corn, beans, tomatoes, and avocado, this dip is also known as Texas caviar or Cowboy caviar.
Whatever you prefer to call it, this cowboy salad-salsa-caviar-dip is kind of addicting and is great with tortilla chips or corn chips.
Why This Recipe
This recipe for Cowboy Cavier is a Tex-Mex salsa dip that not only makes a great appetizer with chips, it is also a nice side salsa for so many dishes.
Made with just a few ingredients, the cowboy salsa is a delicious and colorful twist on traditional red salsa. It is a dip that you can enjoy all year round too!
This dip is so different than other salsas and if you have never tried making it, I highly suggest you try it. It has just the right amount of spice and the colors of the vegetables are so vibrant. Not to mention that this recipe truly just takes minutes to make.
Cowboy caviar dip is actually considered a healthy dip (before you pair it with corn chips)!
Ingredients For Cowboy Caviar
Corn - You can use fresh, frozen or canned. If frozen, defrost before using and if canned, be sure to drain it first.
Black Eyed Peas - Use canned and drained black eyed peas.
Tomatoes - You can use any variety.
Black Beans- Use drained canned black beans
Bell Pepper - any color works.
Onion - I like using green onions, but you can use white, brown or red onions.
Avocado - Use a ripe, peeled avocado
Cilantro - just a touch adds some nice peppery flavor
How to Make Cowboy Caviar Dip
- Drain beans and chop the tomatoes.
- Blend together gently with a spoon.
- Pour the dressing.
- Serve with tortilla or corn chips,
Timesaving Tips to make this perfect every time
- You can use bottled Italian dressing in place of the homemade dressing.
- This can be more than just a dip, cowboy caviar also makes a fantastic side for fresh fish.
- For best results let the mixed dip sit 20 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to blend together.
- Store the dip in the refrigerator for at 2 -s days. After that, the ingredients become soft and mushy if they sit in the dressing too long.
Is Cowboy Caviar Healthy?
Cowboy Caviar by itself can be considered healthy as a source of protein and fiber.
Can Cowboy Caviar be Frozen?
I would not recommend it as it does not freeze well.
Can Cowboy Caviar be Made Ahead?
Absolutely! I recommend making it at most, the night before you plan to serve it to maintain freshness.
For the salad:
- 1 15 ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- ½ avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 bag tortilla chips
For the Dressing
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapenos plus 1 tablespoon brine
- 1 teaspoon honey
- In a bowl or jar, mix together the ingredients for the dressing. Set aside
- Dice onions, tomato, bell pepper and avocado into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together the ingredients for the salad.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine.
- Cover the salad and refrigerate for one to two hours prior to serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
More Salsa Dip Recipes
Homemade Salsa Recipe - This is a homemade salsa that my grandmother used to make.
Easy Pico de Gallo - This delicious pico de gallo is perfect with tacos, meat, and fish.
Cheese Corn Dip Salsa - One of the BEST corn dips out there - it is always very popular.
Baked Hot Corn Dip - A delicious hot corn dip with jalapeños.
Homemade Chunky Salsa – A similar recipe with no food processor needed.
5 Minute Guacamole – perfect for busy days when you need to put together an appetizer in minutes
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
Cilantro aside.. I love this much more than real caviar! YUM.