This easy Pico de Gallo recipe is a perfect condiment or side dish for any meal! Also known as Salsa Fresca, it is made easily in minutes!
Pico de Gallo is made of fresh vegetables and is very low in calories so it makes for a healthy appetizer or condiment.
Hello Friends! Here we are at the beginning of another season. I always love the start of the football season, although this year looks a little different than others. I am still hopeful that I will be able to watch my team for the next few months.
Today’s Best Pico de Gallo recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a tasty condiment to elevate many dishes. Sometimes, just the addition of a vegetable salsa can really kick up the meal a notch. It is an easy way to change up a dish so that it is fresh and tasty.
You might be wondering, what is the difference between pico de gallo and salsa?
The truth is not much, traditional salsa usually has more water and tomato juice in it so it is more liquid.
Homemade Pico de Gallo recipe is perfect for SO many things. It can make a nice salsa for meats, fish, poultry or cheese dishes. It can be served with tacos, burritos and chili as a flavorful vegetable condiment.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out:
- Homemade Salsa - A restaurant-style red salsa that is not overly spicy, but quite mild
- 5 Minute Guacamole – perfect for busy days when you need to put together an appetizer in minutes.
- Homemade Chunky Salsa – A similar recipe with no food processor needed.
Ingredients for Pico de Gallo
List of main ingredients:
Tomatoes – of course, are the star of this show. I like to use tomatoes on the vine or Roma tomatoes for this recipe.,
Onion – I use white onion but you can use purple onions too.
Cilantro –A core ingredient in my opinion. It adds a nice peppery flavor to the salsa.
Jalapeños - The perfect chili for salsa recipes. If you want something milder, you can use Serrano or Anaheim chilis.
Variations on this recipe -
How to make pico de gallo
Making Pico de Gallo is all about chopping. All of the vegetables are chopped and blended together in minutes. I do not recommend using a food processor because it will come out more like a wet salsa. I recommend chopping the ingredients by hand so that the chunks are larger.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
Homemade Pico De Gallo
Pico De Gallo
- 5-6 medium tomatoes
- ½ onion
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chili
- 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- Wash tomatoes, cilantro, and pepper.
- Chop onions, tomatoes, and pepper.
- Place ingredients in a bowl.
- Mince cilantro and add to the bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lime into the bowl.
- Mix to blend and sprinkle with salt.
- Ready to serve, but best to let blend together for at least 20 minutes or more.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes earlier in the day. You can even prepare this salsa the day before.
- Use this on chilis and quesadillas for a nice meal idea.
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.