This adorable Easter egg cupcakes make a fun and festive Easter dessert.
Little Easter eggs sit on top of the cupcake with a buttercream frosting. These chocolate cupcakes are a lovely dessert for your Easter celebration or spring party.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
These holiday cupcakes are simple, delicious and ready in 45 minutes
They are the perfect way to end an Easter brunch or Easter dinner.
Did I mention that these have CHOCOLATE?
It also makes a fun sweet treats party favor for friends.
Ingredients For Easter Nest cupcakes
Chocolate Cake Mix - You can use frozen shrimp or shrimp from the seafood section. Honestly, sometimes the shrimp in the seafood section has been
Eggs - as directed on box.
Pudding mix- chocolate pudding for a richer cupcake.
Chocolate Chips - to make the cupcakes fudgy
Candy Eggs - such as Cadbury mini eggs, jelly beans or other egg shaped Easter candies.
Equipment and Kitchen Tools Needed
- large bowl
- electric mixer or stand mixer
- piping bag with piping tip
- cupcake pan
- cupcake liners
How to Make Cupcakes
Step By Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 ° f.
- Prepare muffin tin with cupcake liners
- Mix cake mix ingredients in a bowl over medium speed until blended.
- Pour the cupcake batter into the cupcake liners about ⅔ full.
- Bake and let cool. Prepare frosting while cupcakes are cooling.
- Pip frosting around the top of the cupcake.
- Top the middle of the cupcake with 3-4 egg candies.
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- I used a cream cheese frosting, but you could also use a buttercream frosting.
- Make the cupcakes the day before so all you have to do is frost and decorate them the day of serving.
- You can make the frosting ahead of time too, as long as you keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- You can substitute vanilla frosting for the chocolate frosting.
- You can use a vanilla cake or yellow cake mix. Keep the chocolate chips but use a vanilla pudding mix instead.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate.
Can you freeze the cupcakes?
Yes, you can freeze the cupcakes, but it is best to freeze them before frosting.
More Easter Dessert Ideas
- Bunny Butt Cupcakes - another cute Easter cupcake.
- Peanut Butter Eggs - Make your own version of this Easter candy.
- Easter Rice Crispy Treats - This favorite cereal snack makes for fun Easter Egg decorating!
- Coloring Easter Eggs - How to dye eggs with food coloring.
- Italian Easter Bread - A traditional Easter Bread recipe that is colorful and tasty.
- Easter Bunny cookie pops - cute cookie pops
- Bird Nest cookies - so cute on the table!
- Easter Dessert Ideas - All so easy to make!
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
Easter Egg Cupcakes
- 1 15 oz box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 4 Eggs
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 3.4 oz box Instant chocolate pudding
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 16 oz can Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 10 oz bag Mini Cadbury Chocolates
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, water, vegetable oil, and pudding mix.
- Beat with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into lined cupcake pan(s) about ¾ full.
- Bake cupcakes for about 15 minutes at 375 degrees or according to the cake mix package.
- Let cool before frosting.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the can of frosting and cream cheese.
- Beat until smooth and well incorporated.
- Fill a piping bag or Zip-Lock bag with the frosting and pipe the frosting onto cupcakes.
- Use a circular piping motion to form a "nest".
- Add a few chocolate eggs to each cupcake and add sprinkles.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve and enjoy.
*This recipe is written with the cake mix instructions and then adding an extra egg, the pudding, and chocolate chips. So you can say follow cake mix instructions PLUS add 1 extra egg, pudding, chocolate chips...et
I hope you enjoyed this easy Easter cupcake recipe. If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here.
I share simple recipes to celebrate the season and e a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.