A delicious and easy Homemade Peanut Butter Eggs Recipe that is perfect for an Easter dessert. Making homemade Easter candy is. not difficult and is a fun tradition to start with the family.
I like that these are homemade and that I can control what is in them. and leave out things like Carnauba Wax, that are in the store-bought brand of these candies. This peanut butter chocolate dipped candy is fun to make in the shape of eggs for Easter!
Why This Recipe
Chocolate Peanut butter Eggs were always in our Easter baskets as a kid and if you have never tried them, they are a delicious soft peanut butter candy that is dipped in milk chocolate. They are shaped like an egg for Easter and are traditional Easter candy.
The chocolately creamy candies are so pretty and festive on the table and friends and family will appreciate that you made these homemade candies.
Ingredients For Homemade Peanut Butter Eggs Recipe
Peanut Butter – You want to use your favorite brand of creamy peanut butter for this recipe
Butter – Real butter is key for the recipe. While margarine can be used in many recipes as a substitute, I don’t recommend it here.
Sugars – This candy uses both powdered white sugar and brown sugar. I like to use light brown sugar, but dark brown works too.
Chocolate Chips– I prefer using milk chocolate chips.
How to Make Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- In a saucepan, heat peanut butter, butter and brown sugar.
- Add powdered sugar gradually.
- Shape into eggs using a spoon and your hands to shape.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes and then melt chocolate chips.
Then you dip the eggs in the melted chocolate and place them on parchment paper or waxed paper. Top with sprinkles and let dry completely.
Peanut Butter Egg Recipe
Homemade Peanut Butter Eggs
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar scooped and leveled*
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or coconut oil
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the peanut butter, butter, and brown sugar over medium heat.
- Heat until melted and starting to simmer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the powdered sugar a 1⁄4 cup at a time, stirring until completely combined with the peanut butter mixture after each addition.
- Set aside and let cool for 5 min (if it cools completely it will harden and you’ll need to start over.)
- Using a medium cookie scoop or a heaping tablespoon, scoop out peanut butter mixture and shape into eggs or press into mini cupcake liners.
- For the eggs:
- Roll the scoop into a ball, and then roll it into a short cylinder.
- Place it on the baking sheet, and then use your fingers to shape the ends into an egg-like oval.
- For regular cups:
- Press 1/2 tbsp worth of filling into the mini cupcake liner and place on a baking sheet.
- Refrigerate to allow the peanut butter treats to set, about 30 minutes
- Once set, melt the chocolate chips and oil together in the microwave on 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted.
- One at a time, dip a peanut butter egg into the chocolate and, using a fork, flip it over so it is completely covered.
- Remove it from the bowl, letting any excess chocolate drip off.
- Return it to the baking sheet, and repeat with all of the treats.
- Sprinkle with decorations, if desired.
- Return the chocolate-covered peanut butter treats to the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set, about 30 minutes..
Timesaving tips to make this perfect every time
- The peanut butter treats can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- They can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Do not place in a warm area or near the stove, the chocolate will melt easily.
Italian Easter Bread – A colorful and festive bread ring that is so easy to make.
Four Ingredient Easter Cookies – Fast and simple cookies that are perfect for Easter.
Easter Rice Crispy Treats – A delicious dessert that makes Easter fun!
Homemade Peeps – Make these and add them to everyone’s Easter baskets.
Don’t forget to repin this recipe for an easy Easter treat.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.