Escape the summer heat with a cool, creamy, and delicious salted caramel milkshake! This easy milkshake recipe requires just a few simple ingredients like vanilla ice cream, whole milk, and caramel sauce.
To make your shake extra special, top it off with a generous drizzle of caramel syrup, toffee bits, and candy-rimmed glasses. And don't forget to serve it in tall glasses for an impressive presentation!
This is one of our fun dessert drink recipes you will want to bookmark.
Whether you're looking for a sweet treat or something new to add to your daily dessert repertoire, this is the perfect flavor combination to find satisfaction.
Why this recipe
Simple. You only need four ingredients, and the result is a smooth, creamy, and sweet treat that you can enjoy while cooling off on a hot summer day.
Customizable. You can make it your own with your favorite ingredients! Change up the type of ice cream or add peanut butter for a richer texture or pineapple chunks for an extra tropical flavor. This shake is made without corn syrup, so you can feel good about what you add.
Versatile. Whether you're looking for a vegan alternative, a low-fat option, or just want to reduce added sugar but still enjoy the same great flavor and texture of a milkshake, this recipe has got you covered!
Ingredients for this homemade milkshake
- Whole milk
- Salted caramel sauce - plus a little for glass. I like to make my own caramel sauce because it is so easy!
- Vanilla ice cream - your favorite grocery store brand
- Whipped cream
Equipment and kitchen tools
- Milkshake glasses
How to make a Salted Caramel Shake
Step 1 - spread some caramel on the inside of the glass.
Step 2- Place ice cream and salted caramel in a blender.
Step 3 - Add cold milk, blend and pour in the glass.
Step 4 - Top with whipped cream and additional caramel sauce and enjoy!
Tips for best results
- You can also make a vegan milkshake by substituting the ice cream with vegan ice cream and the milk with coconut milk or almond milk
- Turn this creamy milkcake into an extra indulgent dessert shake by substituting regular ice cream with salted caramel ice cream
- For a thicker milkshake, add more ice cream or less milk
- To make it even more special, rim the glasses with crushed caramel candy or date bits for a delicious crunch with every sip.
- You can also make your own salted caramel sauce using butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, and salt.
- Drizzle caramel sauce on top of the whipped cream for extra sweetness and presentation.
- Add a pinch of sea salt to bring out the salted caramel flavor.
- You can double or triple this recipe to make a bigger batch.
Yes, absolutely - you can use non-dairy milk such as almond milk, or soy milk as a substitute for regular milk. You can also use non-dairy ice cream instead of traditional ice cream.
Absolutely! You can make then using a tall glass and a spoon or spatula. You can also use a mixing bowl and a whisk.
Yes, you can create healthier versions of this milkshake by using low-fat milk or yogurt, and natural sweeteners like honey or agave.
More great dessert drink recipes
And if you love caramel - try this Salted Caramel cold brew this season!
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons of salted caramel sauce + a little for glass.
- ⅔ cups vanilla ice cream;
- Whipped cream
- Place ice cream and salted caramel in a blender.
- Add cold whole milk.
- Blend on low - medium speed
- Decorate a glass for serving a milkshake.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share new recipes for the season and a few things that I don't share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!