This recipe for Potato Cheese soup is a favorite in our house! So easy to make and so comforting and delicious! This is made with just a few simple ingredients and in less than 30 minutes, you will have a delicious hot soup.
It's one of those easy dinners that is sure to be a family favorite. This also goes perfectly with my Ultimate Cheesy Garlic Bread. It also goes great with crackers too!
This is one of our easy soup recipes you will want to bookmark for later.
The weather is warming up a bit here in California, just in time for the spring break season. But we still have some cool evenings. For these nights, I love to make this tasty, creamy potato soup.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This is one of my favorite soups to make when I want to warm things up. It is a nice seasonal soup.
- This easy potato soup recipe is not only simple, but it is also very versatile too! You can top it with cooked bacon bits and sour cream for more of a baked potato soup. I love to serve in little crock bowls of soup like these.
- This dinner idea is very economical and very cheap to make.
- Everyone loves it!
Making this Potato soup is so easy and you just need a few ingredients that you likely have on hand.
Potato Cheese Soup Ingredients
Potatoes - I recommend using Russet Potatoes for this soup. Round white potatoes can also work well.
Celery - The celery adds a nice subtle flavor and the fiber adds body to the soup. You can also use jicama if you like.
Cheese - I always go with mild cheddar, but you can use a sharp cheddar or white cheddar too!
Chicken Stock - or chicken broth works too.
Milk - I use whole milk but you can use heavy cream for a creamier soup.
Seasonings - kosher salt and black pepper
Equipment and Kitchen Tools
- large saucepan, soup pot or large dutch oven
- slotted spoon
- potato masher
How to Make Potato Cheese Soup
All you have to do is through some peeled potatoes in a pot and add a few ingredients once they are cooked. The flavors blend together well to make a wonderful comfort food soup.
It tastes like it took a long time, but it is actually one of the easiest soup recipes you will find!
Stir often and continue cooking soup about 15 more minutes over medium-low heat (soup will thicken).
So warm and comforting and this is cheesy potato soup is also super inexpensive to make.
What is your favorite cold weather soup?
Potato Cheese Soup Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- If you do not have chicken broth you can substitute vegetable broth OR 1 cup of water with 1 bouillon cube.
- You can substitute heavy cream for some or all of the milk.
- You may need to add a little milk or water when reheating leftovers the next day
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- to make the soup creamier and less chunky you can use an immersion blender for a minute.
- To speed up the cooking time, smaller cubed potatoess take less time to cook
- taste before serving and add additional salt if needed.
Serving, Storage & Leftover Suggestions
- Top with shredded cheese, bacon pieces, green onions, and/or sour cream.
- For a large gathering, you can transfer soup to a slow cooker or crockpot to keep warm.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
More Cozy Soup Recipes
Loaded Potato Soup - Like a baked potato in a soup. One of the best potato soups for winter.
Easy Roasted Vegetable Soup - All vegetables in this lovely and refreshing soup!
Potato Chipotle Soup - a hearty potato soup with a hint of chipotle for some heat!
Cream of Chicken Soup - Make it from scratch and control the amount of sodium.
Chicken Soup with Spaghetti Noodles - use what you have on hand for this comforting recipe
Be sure to pin this recipe!
Potato Cheese Soup
Potato Cheese Soup
- 5 cups water
- 3 large russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- ½ cup onions finely minced
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheese, cheddar works well
- In a large pot, or saucepan, combine water, celery, and onions over medium-low heat.
- Add diced potatoes, chicken broth and salt, and pepper
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook 10-12 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt butter in a saucepan.
- As soon as the butter is melted, whisk in flour slowly.
- Then gradually add milk to the flour mixture and whisk continuously.
- Heat 5 minutes and pour into soup mixture.
- Pour into soup bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
We hope you enjoyed this potato cheese soup recipe. It is great comfort food fo r the season.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!