This recipe for Potato Cheese soup is a favorite in our house! So easy to make and so comforting and delicious! This is made with just a few simple ingredients and in less than 30 minutes, you will have a delicious hot soup.
This also goes perfectly with my Ultimate Cheesy Garlic Bread. It also goes great with crackers too!
The weather is warming up a bit here in California, just in time for the spring break season. But we still have some cool evenings. For these nights, I love to make this tasty, creamy potato cheese soup.
This is one of my favorite soups to make when I want to warm things up. This soup is very versatile too! You can top it with cooked bacon bits and sour cream for more of a baked potato soup. I love to serve in little crock bowls, like these.
Making this Potato soup is so easy and you just need a few ingredients that you likely have on hand.
Potato Cheese Soup Ingredients
Potatoes – I recommend using Russet Potatoes for this soup. Round white potatoes can also work well.
Celery – The celery adds a nice subtle flavor and the fiber adds body to the soup. You can also use jicama if you like.
Cheese – I always go with mild cheddar, but you can use a sharp cheddar or white cheddar too!
How to Make Potato Cheese Soup
All you have to do is through some peeled potatoes in a pot and add a few ingredients once they are cooked. The flavors blend together well to make a wonderful comfort food soup.
It tastes like it took a long time, but it is actually one of the easiest soup recipes you will find!
Stir often and continue cooking soup about 15 more minutes over medium-low heat (soup will thicken).
So warm and comforting and this is also super inexpensive to make.
What is your favorite cold weather soup?
Check out our other great soup recipes:
Easy Roasted Vegetable Soup – All vegetables in this lovely and refreshing soup!
Potato Chipotle Soup – a hearty potato soup with a hint of chipotle for some heat!
Chicken Soup with Spaghetti Noodles – use what you have on hand for this comforting recipe
Be sure to pin this recipe!
Potato Cheese Soup
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 5 cups water
- 3 large russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 cup onions finely minced
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, cheddar works well
- In a large pot, combine water, celery, and onions over medium-low heat.
- Add diced potatoes, chicken bouillon granules and salt, and pepper
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook 10-12 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt butter in a saucepan.
- As soon as the butter is melted, whisk in flour slowly.
- Then gradually add milk to the flour mixture and whisk continuously.
- Heat 5 minutes and pour into soup mixture.
- Pour into soup bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
If you love this recipe as much as we do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Pinterest!
We would love for you to be a part of our islander club. It’s free and we send out a newsletter weekly filled with fun ways to enjoy the season and with some organizing and time-saving tips too! You can sign up here.