Pina colada cupcakes are a fun way to celebrate summer and enjoy the flavors of a piña colada cocktail in a cake.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This piña colada cupcake recipe is the perfect cupcake for a summer party dessert or for a luau party.These cupcakes are made from scratch and are topped with a lovely coconut buttercream that is full of rich coconut flavor. These moist pineapple cupcakes taste like a dream!
Pina Colada Cupcake Ingredients
Piña colada cupcakes are easy to make with simple ingredients.
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- butter, room temperature
- granulated sugar
- cream cheese, room temperature
- baking soda
- pineapple juice
- fresh pineapple, finely chopped
- unsalted butter, softened
- sifted powdered sugar
- toasted coconut flakes
- maraschino cherries
- coconut flavoring (optional)
- cocktail umbrellas
See recipe card for quantities.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
Combine all spices into a large bowl and Place paper liners into the cupcake pans. n a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a large mixing bowl add the butter, sugar, and using a handheld mixer, mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Slowly add eggs and then add dry ingredients. Blend well.
Fill cupcake liners ⅔ full
Bake as directed. In a large bowl beat butter over medium speed with an electric mixer. Frost cupcakes when completely cooled.
Top each cupcake with a maraschino cherry and a pineapple wedge or paper umbrellas.
Top each cupcake with a maraschino cherry and a pineapple wedge or paper umbrellas. These are perfect for an outdoor dinner party!
These are so easy
- Heavy cream - you can substitute it for milk in the frosting
- You can frost these with a standard vanilla buttercream frosting and just top with a little toasted coconut for a milder coconut flavor.
- Try adding a little rum extract to the batter for more of a cocktail flavor.
- large bowl
- hand mixer or stand mixer
- cupcake pan
- cupcake liners
- wire rack
Store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Good for 2-3 days.
Be sure to let cupcakes thoroughly cool before frosting.
More Cupcake Recipes
Pina Colada Cupcakes
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter room temperature
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cream cheese room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ⅓ cup pineapple finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place cupcake liners into the cupcake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl add the butter, sugar, and using a handheld mixer, mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add room temperature cream cheese and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add the egg one at a time until well incorporated.
- Slowly add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until just combined.
- Add the pineapple juice and mix.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the finely chopped pineapples and scrape down the sides to make sure all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the batter on the prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 19 minutes.
- Allow it to cool before adding frosting and decorations.
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar aka confectioners' sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 2-3 drops coconut flavoring optional
- ½ cup toasted coconut flakes
- maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter over medium-high speed until soft and fluffy.
- Slowly add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, then add milk, coconut flavoring and beat until creamy.
- Use your favorite frosting tip to pipe the frosting and garnish. Cool cupcakes before frosting.
Freezing: Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before frosting and serving.
Prepare cupcakes 1-day advance and keep cupcakes covered tightly at room temperature until ready to be frosted.
Use 100% pineapple juice (not syrup).
Use full-fat canned coconut milk.
Toasted coconut is optional, if you aren't a fan of toasted coconut regular sweetened coconut flakes can be used.
More Summer Cupcakes
We hope you enjoyed this easy recipe for one of my favorite cupcakes.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes and ways to enjoy the season, and few things that I don’t share here.
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.