This light coleslaw dressing is the perfect creamy dressing to make for a flavorful and healthy picnic salad.
This creamy coleslaw dressing goes well with a traditional green cabbage and red cabbage or purple cabbage slaw or with a store-bought coleslaw mix. Whatever works best for your.
Perfect for your next summer bbq or summer picnic outing, this easy salad dressing recipe just requires a few simple ingredients.
Healthy Coleslaw Recipe Ingredients
This dressing recipe requires just a few simple ingredients.
- light mayonnaise
- dijon mustard
- onion powder
- celery seed
- apple cider vinegar
- lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Use this section for process shots, alternating between the step and image showing the
In a medium bowl or wide mouth jar with a lid, add light mayonaisse.
Then add mustard and seasoning, stir to combine.
Add vinegar and lemon juice.
Place lid on jar and shake until well combined.
Add salt and pepper to taste, place on lid and shake again.
Chill until ready to serve with coleslaw .
Store in refrigerator.
Hint:For best results, be sure to use only fresh cabbage and carrots for a delicious slaw.
- You can substitute plain greek yogurt for half of the light mayonnaise to make the dressing even lighter.
- You an substitute rice wine vinegar for the cider vinegar.
This base recipe can easily be modified.
- Spicy - add a splash of hot sauce to the dressing.
- Sweet - add a little splash of maple syrup to sweeten it a little.
To make the dressing you wil need a large bowl or mason jar with a lid.
I also recommend using a large whisk to blend the dressing.
For a fun serving idea, use a pretty dressing jar.
The slaw mix and the light mayo dressing can each be made ahead of time, but once you add the dressing to the slaw, it is best eaten within 24 hours or the cabbage will get soggy.
Store the dressing itself in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It is good for 2-3 days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
More Tasty Summer Side Dishes
Light Coleslaw Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon or spicy mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl or wide mouth jar with a lid, add mayo
- Then add mustard and seasoning, stir to combine
- Add vinegar and lemon juice
- Place lid on jar and shake until well combined
- Add salt and pepper to taste, place on lid and shake again
- Chill until ready to serve with coleslaw
- Store in refrigerator
I hope you love this homemade coleslaw dressing. If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here.
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
Remove this block, and replace it with the recipe card here