Dessert should be both tasty and nice to look at it for best effect. These Chocolate Mint Cupcakes will hit all the right notes and bea hit whether you serve them for family, friends or a formal event.
Simple chocolate cake is filled with an amazing pudding mixture and topped with delectable buttercream frosting. This is finished with a drizzle of melted chocolate mint candy and a bit of crushed candy for garnish. So much delicious chocolate flavor in each bite.Jump to Recipe
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Unique. Our beautiful chocolate mint cupcakes recipe will wow your guests and remind you of your favorite Girl Scouts cookie all at the same time.
Impressive. Not only is the design gorgeous, these cookies taste amazing. With this recipe yours will be the hit of every party. It's an easy recipe for St. Patrick’s day.
It's a delicious Chocolate cupcake recipe. Need I say more?
Equipment You Will Need
- Large mixing bowl
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Large Piping Bag. For the frosting.
- Large Round Frosting Tip. To pipe on the frosting.
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Cupcake Injector. This allows you to put the filling into the middle of the cupcake. You can also use a melon baller.
- Cupcake Liners. So that the cupcakes are finger food.
- Wire rack (optional for cooling)
Ingredients for Chocolate Mint Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cake Mix. Your favorite mix will work perfectly.
- Water. Straight from the tap.
- Vegetable Oil. You can use canola oil or corn oil if needed.
- Eggs. Large.
Ingredients for the Filling
- York Peppermint Patty Chocolate Mint Pudding. One box.
- Whipped Topping. Store-bought is fine.
- Milk. Just to thin it out a little.
- Salted Butter. Adds so much flavor but if you absolutely must you can use shortening.
- Cocoa Extract. For flavor.
- Vanilla Extract. Use pure extracts for best results.
- Chocolate Syrup. Hot Fudge Sauce will also work.
- Heavy Whipping Cream. Made from heavy cream.
- Powdered Sugar. Confectioner's sugar so that the frosting will be smooth.
- Chocolate Mint Chunks. I like to use Andes mints candies. You can also use chocolate chips, or chopped thin mints.
- Milk. Whatever you have works.
How to Make Chocolate Mint Cupcakes
The full recipe instructions for this copycat recipe are in the recipe card, below but here is a step by step overview.
Mix the cake mix, water, oil, and eggs to make the cake batter. Scrape the sides of the bowl often with a rubber scraper.
Scrape the sides of the bowl often with a rubber scraper. Fill each muffin tin ⅔ full with cupcake batter. Bake the cupcakes for 18 minutes or so until a toothpick comes out clean. Let these cool completely.
While the cupcakes cool, mix the filling. Begin by mixing the pudding and milk on low speed with an electric mixer. Next, fold in the whipped cream and milk.
Use the cupcake injector or scoop out the center of each cupcake using a melon baller. Fill the opening with filling, and then replace the top.
Mix the frosting and pipe it onto the top of each cupcake.f
Melt the ingredients for the drizzle and go ahead and drizzle those cupcakes with the resulting syrup.
Top with crushed mint chips if desired. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
You can use Thin Mint cookies
Mint frosting - use a mint buttercream frosting using
teaspoon peppermint extract and a few drops of green food coloring
Tips for Best Results
Make sure the cupcakes are completely cool before you add the filling. Otherwise the filling will melt and separate. This does not taste good. Frost cupcakes when completely cool.
Keep leftover cupcakes stored at room temperature. Placing the cupcakes in an airtight container will cause the frosting to stay soft and get weepy. Instead make sure the frosted cupcakes have some access to air circulation and the frosting will have a nice crusty exterior.
Freeze individual cupcakes in freezer-quality zipper bags to enjoy later. You can eat the cupcakes partially frozen or let them thaw completely at room temperature. Take them to work or throw one in the lunchbox for your kids to enjoy at school.
More Favorite Cupcake Recipes
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes
- Pina Colada Cupcakes Recipe
- Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe
- Creamsicle Cupcakes
- Easy Rainbow Cupcakes
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 Cupcake Injector
- 1 cupcake liners
- 1 large piping bag
- 1 large round frosting tip
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3.95 ounce box York Peppermint Patty Chocolate Mint Pudding
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups salted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon cocoa extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chocolate syrup or hot fudge sauce
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup mint chunks
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
Directions for the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or line a standard muffin tin.
- Step 1: In a large mixing bowl filled with the cake mix, add in the water, oil, and eggs. Using a hand or stand mixer, mix on medium speed until well incorporated.
- Step 2: Add batter into the muffin tin until each is about ⅔ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before filling with the pudding mixture.
Directions for the Frosting
- Step 3: In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream the butter, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Step 4: Mix in the vanilla and cocoa extracts and syrup or fudge sauce. *Slowly mix in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, while adding in a tablespoon of the cream in between each cup. Continue to mix for 1 minute or until creamy. Fill your prepared piping bag with frosting. Frost your cupcakes.
Directions for the Filling:
- Steps 5-6: In a medium size mixing bowl, add the pudding and milk.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, mix on medium until well incorporated and smooth. Mix or fold in the whipped topping. Add to your prepared piping bag.
- Using a melon baller (or other creative tool) scoop out part of the middle of the cupcake.
- Repeat for the remaining cupcakes. Pipe in the pudding, just short of filling to the top. Replace the top of the cupcake (if desired).
Directions for the Drizzle
- In a small bowl, add the mint chocolate chunks and milk. Heat at 50% power for 25 seconds.
- Stir. If the chips are not completely melted, repeat. Drizzle mixture from Step 9 over the frosted cupcakes. Top with a bit of the crushed mint chocolate chunks. Enjoy!
- Makes 24 cupcakes.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share delicious recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!