This strawberry cupcakes recipe is a favorite in my home. Made with strawberries and a few simple ingredients, it is a wonderful way to celebrate strawberry season.
Why You Will Love This Strawberry Cupcake Recipe
Strawberry cupcakes are just so special. To me it is like the forgotten flavor when most are choosing between vanilla and chocolate.
Fresh strawberries are used in a puree for the cupcakes and the strawberry frosting for a delicious strawberry dessert.
This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite strawberry cake recipes, and is great for picnics, parties and showers.
These are nice for a spring or summer tea party too!
Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes Ingredients
These beautiful cupcakes are made with a few simple ingredients.
- unsalted butter at room temperature
- all purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- lemon juice
- strawberry extract.
- lemon, optional
- milk (whole milk is best)
- Pink or Red food coloring
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions for Strawberry Cupcakes
Prepare Strawberry puree on the stovetop.
Cream butter and sugar.
Add additional wet ingredients.
Add dry ingredients and strawberry mixture.
Pour cupcake batter into cupcake liners. Bake as directed
Hint: For a pretty effect, you can double the cupcake liners. Also, to avoid greasy bottoms. place a few grains of salt under the cupcake liners in the pan before baking.
Frost cupcakes with creamy strawberry buttercream frosting when cooled.
If you cannot find strawberry extract, you can use strawberry emulsion.
- large bowl
- stand mixer with paddle attachment or electric mixer
- measuring cup
- cupcake tin
- cupcake liners
- piping bag with tip (optional)
- wire rack (optional)
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Good for 2-3 days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Depending on the weather or climate will determine how much liquid is necessary. For climates with more moisture in the air you may notice it takes a lot of powdered sugar to get a stiff peak.
When the puree has thickened and reduced, pour into a large measuring cup and allow to cool to at least room temperature. This strawberry mixture can be made ahead, if you like, and stored in the fridge.
As a good rule of thumb, don’t dump all the purée in at once. Slowly add it and watch the texture of the frosting as it’s whipped for 5 minutes to incorporate air, making it fluffy.
More Easy Cupcake Recipes
Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe
- Sauce Pan
- electric mixer
- Muffin Cups
- Baking Sheet
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 8 medium sized strawberries
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons strawberry extract.
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest optional
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk, at room temperature whole milk is best
- ½ teaspoon Pink food color
- Make the strawberry purée by combining all ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then
- a simmer for 15 mins, stirring frequently. Smash the berries. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4-5 in an electric mixer.
- Add egg whites and vanilla.
- Beat until well incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and milk, alternating.
- Finally add in lemon zest and strawberry puree.
- The cupcake batter will be thick.
- Scoop into muffin cups, filling them no more than ¾ full or else you’ll have “muffin tops”
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Frost with homemade strawberry buttercream.
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
2 sticks, 1 cup, unsalted room temp butter
1 lb powdered sugar
¼ cup strawberry purée
2 tablespoon heavy cream
Beat butter until smooth.
Add powdered sugar and mix with the butter.
Slowly begin to incorporate the strawberry purée.
Add the heavy cream and beat on high speed for 5 mins.
The buttercream so NOT fold back into itself once it’s been beaten for 5 mins. See photos
Add more powdered sugar if the icing will not hold a stiff peak
We hope you loved this fun cupcake recipe as much as we do!
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!