These easy rainbow cupcakes are a wonderful, colorful dessert idea. These fun cupcakes are perfect for a spring gathering or birthday party..
We are all about sharing festive, seasonal dessert ideas and this simple decorative cupcake recipe is sure to please.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
These beautiful cupcakes are versatile and customizable. Made with a box of white cake mix, these are a breeze to make.
These colorful cupcakes are full of vibrant color and are topped with a creamy vanilla buttercream frosting.
A great way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, the spring season or a rainbow party. Each cupcake bears the colors of the rainbow and topped with white frosting for a fun surprise.
These colorful cupcakes are topped with a fun candy rainbow.
Ingredients For Easy Rainbow Cupcakes
This recipe only requires a few ingredients.
- boxed cake mix.wḧïẗe or vanilla cake mixes
- vanilla pudding mix
- vegetable oil
- Gel food coloring in rainbow colors
- Rainbow Candy for Rainbow Cupcake Toppers
Equipment and Kitchen Tools Needed
- bowls (1 large bowl and 6 small bowls)
- 6 spoons
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- cupcake pan
- cupcake liners
- wire rack
- piping bag and tip
- gel food coloring ( I prefer gel food colors over liquid coloring because the colors are more vibrant)
- Airhead rainbow candy or sour candy belts
How to Make Rainbow Cupcakes
Step By Step Instructions
- Make cake mix according to instructions in a bow. Beat on medium speed with spoon or electric mixer.
- Split the batter into 6 bowls and make the colors in separate bowls (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue & Purple)
- Add small dollops of each color to the prepared baking cups.
- Bake cupcakes for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely, then frost cupcakes with buttercream frosting once cupcakes have completely cooled.
- Pipe dots (for the clouds) and then add the candy rainbow to each cupcake.
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- You should be able to get 2-3 rainbows from one strip. Scissors work beat to cut candy.
- If your rainbows won’t stand up the strip is too long and needs to be trimmed.
- If the strip is the perfect size you may need to just add a little bit of frosting to the outside of the rainbow to make it stand
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- You can add gold sprinkles or a gold wrapped candy at the end of the rainbow.
- You can make Pastel Rainbow Cupcakes by using small amounts of food coloring.Try with a drop or two.
- You can also skip coloring the batter and just add the clouds and rainbow toppers to frosted cupcakes. You can also add rainbow sprinkles to the inside of the batter.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
You can freeze unfrosted cupcakes in a ziploc bag in the freezer, once they have cooled.
To defrost, simply place in the oven or microwave until at room temperature.
Frosting For Rainbow Cupcakes
¾ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup heavy whipping cream or milk
3-4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a bowl or stand mixer (with a paddle attachment), whip up room temperature butter to the mixer until light and fluffy.
Add powdered sugar slowly.
Add vanilla and whipping cream or milk.
Blend on LOW for about 30 seconds, then whip on HIGH for 4-5 minutess until the buttercream is fluffy and it doubles in volume.
Can I make rainbow cupcakes with cream cheese frosting?
Yes, you can and I recommend this easy cream cheese frosting recipe.
Where can I buy Rainbow Cupcakes?
It will cost more, but you can buy rainbow cupcakes too.
This best rainbow cupcake recipe is perfect as an easy dessert recipe.
More Rainbow Dessert ideas
We hope you enjoyed this simple rainbow cupcake recipe. If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here.
I share simple recipes to celebrate the season and e a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
Easy Rainbow Cupcakes
- 12 ct cupcake pan
- Baking cups
- Stand Mixer
- 6 bowls
- 6 plastic spoons
- One box wḧïẗe or vanilla cake mix
- One box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 6 Gel food coloring in rainbow colors
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream or milk
- 3-4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Airhead rainbow candy or Rainbow strip Candy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
- Make cake mix batter according to instructions
- Divide batter into 6 bowls
- Make the following colors:
- Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue & Purple
- Add a teaspoon of each color to the baking cups
- Place paper liners in the muffin tin.
- Don’t not swirl the cupcake batter.
- Bake for 13-15 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool completely
- Make buttercream frosting
- The frosting should be slightly stiff but not hurt the hands when squeezing a piping bag
- Cut off the tip and Pipe dots (clouds) and then immediately add the candy rainbow (cut down to
- an appropriate size)
- You should be able to get 2-3 rainbows from one strip.
If the strip is the perfect size you may need to just add a little bit of frosting to the outside of the
rainbow to make it stand