This Pumpkin Cake with Yellow Cake Mix makes a delicious fall dessert with only a few simple ingredients.
Celebrate pumpkin season with this easy pumpkin pie cake. Also known as Magic Pumpkin Cake, it has fun colorfyl layers that are full of flavor and topped with a cream cheese frosting. Perfect as a dessert or lunch box snack.
This is one of our easy cake recipes that you will want to bookmark for later.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This easy pumpkin cake recipe makes a quick desert full of pumpkin flavor.
It's a fun way to elevate a box of cake mix for a seasonal treat. It is also called a Pumpkin Magic cake due to the "magic" of using a boxed cake mix.
It's the perfect fall dessert and likely to be a family favorite. There is nothing like a tasty pumpkin dessert to welcome fall.
Just a few simple ingredients are needed for this recipe. Refer to the recipe card for the measurements.
- box of yellow cake mix
- pumpkin puree
- brown sugar
- room temperature butter
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Pumpkin Cake with Yellow Cake Mix
Use this section for process shots, alternating between the step and image showing the step. Users don't like seeing process shots cluttering up the recipe card, so include your process shots here.
Combine the dry cake mix with ...
Add the can of pumpkin puree
Mix cake batter over medium speed.
Place into oven at 350 f. While the cake bakes, you can make the frosting.
Substitutions & Variations
- white cake mix- your favorite grocery store brand.
- Bundt pan - you can make this in a bundt pan
- Buttercream Frosting - You can also use a vanilla buttercream frosting for this cake.
Store in an airtight container.
- large bowl
- electric mixer - stand or hand mixer
Storage & Serving Suggestions
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Let cake cool completely before frosting.
innamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger are classic spices that complement pumpkin flavor. You can also use pumpkin pie spice, which is a blend of these spices.
Grease and flour your cake pans or use parchment paper to line the bottom.
Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or two, or in the refrigerator for longer shelf life due to the pumpkin content.
More Pumpkin Recipes
More Quick Dessert Cake Mix Recipes
Pumpkin Cake with Cake Mix
- 1 box yellow recipe cake mix
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- 6 eggs divided
- 1 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 ½ tsp. Pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees f, and spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together butter yellow cake mix, water, butter, and 3 eggs. Whisk until well combined and there are no lumps of cake mix.
- Pour into the 9x13 inch pan, and smooth out evenly.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, brown sugar, half and half, 3 eggs, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture evenly over the cake mixture, and gently smooth out evenly.
- Bake the cake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake layer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool, then prepare the frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a mixer to beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar and vanilla, and mix to combine, until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, use a mixer to mix the heavy whipping cream for 2-3 minutes, until peaks begin to form and it has a whipped cream consistency.
- Add the whipped cream to the frosting mixture, and mix well to combine.
- Smooth the frosting evenly over the top of the cake.
- Enjoy! Refrigerate any leftovers.
I hope you loved this delicious cake recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share delicious recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!