This Oreo drip cake is a delicious chocolate cake topped with vanilla buttercream and a beautiful chocolate drip on sides and top of the cake.
This lovely dessert idea is one of those shortcut cake recipes that is made with a store-bought cake mix.Jump to Recipe
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This cake is made with a boxed cake mix to save you time. With the help of a classic sandwich cookie, this cake is fantastic.
This cake looks spectacular on a dessert table. The white chocolate ganache drip is so enticing and the Oreo cookies are everything! It is really stunning for special occasions and parties. Special thanks to my friend Kim who inspired me.
Just a few simple ingredients are needed for this recipe. Refer to the recipe card for the measurements.
- Vanilla or White cake mix - your favorite brand
- large egg
- vegetable oil
- Oreo Cookies - I used full sized Oreos but you could use mini Oreos, if desired.
- Candy Melts - I like the white chocolate flavor.
Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- Butter - use real butter for the frosting.
- shortening -
- powdered sugar
- heavy cream
- vanilla extract
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make an Oreo Drip Cake
The full recipe instructions are in the recipe card, but here is a step by step overview of the recipe
In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix with egg, oil and water as noted on the box. Beat on low speed until blended and add crushed Oreos and fold gently.
Pour cake batter into prepared pans.I use a combination of butter and flour for the pans, but you could use baking spray. Bake as directed until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
Cover cake layers individually with plastic wrap and freeze at least an hour. Prepare frosting, Pull layers out of the refrigerator and top each layer with frosting in a stack.
Frost the sides and top of cake with an offset spatula.
Frost the entire cake then using a straight edge spatula or bench scraper, scrape the side of the cake. You want to a smooth icing look.
Melt the candy melts and using a squeeze bottle (or pastry tip), drip the melted candies around the edge of the cake top Line the bottom of the cake with cookies all around the base.
Once you have dripped the entire edge of the cake top, add frosting drops.
Top the center of the cake with chocolate chips, crushed Oreos crumbs, and/or a row of cookies on their sides.
Then your Oreo drip cake is ready to enjoy!
Hint: You can also make an Oreo buttercream by adding crushed Oreos to the Buttercream. The Oreos will need to be ground very fine if you’re going to do this. Dust the top of the cake with Oreo crumbs
Substitutions & Variations
Here are a few substitutions for this recipe.
- Oreo buttercream - add mini Oreos
- dark chocolate ganache - a
- chocolate Oreo drip Cake - use chocolate cake mix in place of the white
Equipment & Kitchen Tools
- large mixing bowl
- stand mixer with paddle attachment
- cake tins
- bench scraper or offset spatula
- wire racks
- piping bag
Store leftovers in an airtight container.
More Cake Recipes
Oreo Drip Cake
- (2) 8 inch pans
- Electric hand or stand mixer
- Knife & Cutting board
- Piping bags
- 2D or 1M piping tip
Ingredients for the Cake
- Baking Spray or Cake Release
- 2 boxes White or French vanilla cake mix
- 1 box Oreo pudding
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 15 oz bag Oreo Cookies
- 1 bag White candy melts or Almond Bark
Ingredients for buttercream
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 5 cups Confectioners sugar. scooped and leveled
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, eggs, oil and water.
- Add in the Oreo pudding with the cake mix.
- Crush 7-8 Oreos and fold into the batter.Do not over mix.
- Fill prepared cake pans ¾ full with cake batter.
- Place in oven and reduce the temperature to 340.
- Allow cake to bake 40-45 mins or until a skewer or butter knife comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in the pans (for one hour).
- Level the cakes while still inside of the pans. Place a cake board over the top and flip the cake out.
- For 4 layers of icing torte the cake (slice the layer in half, horizontally).To torte is to divide the cake horizontally into layers , so that two layers becomes four.
- Wrap the cake layers individually and freeze them for an hour.
Assemble The Cake
- Prepare the frosting as directed.
- Remove cake layers from freezer or fridge and frost each layer while stacking layers.
- Frost the sides of the cake with buttercream.
- Frost the outer rim of the top of the cake.
- Add a small amount of butter cream to the center of your cake board and lay down your first
Decorating the Cake
- Melt candy melts in 30 second increments in the microwave, stirring after each increment.
- Add to a piping bag. Snip the tip leaving a small space open and pipe drops of chocolate along the side of the cake.
- Add cookies to base of cake all around.
- Top cake with swirls of frosting.
- Add cookie crumbs, chocolate chips and sprinkles as desired. Add a few cookies standing on their sides on top of cake.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.