This Easy creamy spinach dip recipe is perfect for game day or any day! It is a popular appetizer for your next party!
This sour cream spinach dip with water chestnuts is easy to make as a fun appetizer dip. Today I am also sharing how to make a sourdough bread bowl for dips.
Hello Friends! How is the new year going for you? I have been doing some organizing and clean up for a fresh start this year. We have also been enjoying the football division playoffs. We are heading for the biggest game of the year and I am happy to say that my team is still in the running.
With football viewing, comes football food. I whipped up this simple spinach dip the other day and also took a few minutes to make the dip in a sourdough bowl. This is the absolute best spinach dip and it is one of my favorite dips to make.
I like serving the creamy spinach dip in a sourdough bread bowl because it just looks so appetizing. It is really easy to make and if you are wanting to see how I did it, just check below.
How to make a sourdough bread bowl:
Step One: First slice off the top of the bowl about 1 ½ inches from the top. Set aside.
Step Two: sing a bread knife, cut through about one inch from the edge, but not cutting into the bottom of the bowl. You want to leave about an inch on the bottom. Hollow out the bread and use for dipping or croutons.
Step Three: Your bowl is ready, use the bread pieces to cut up for serving.
Bread Bowl Spinach Dip Serving Suggestions
Serve this spinach dip with sourdough pieces, sliced french bread, crackers, pita chips, tortilla chips and fresh vegetables. It tastes great with all of them.
Sprinkle the top with some chopped green onions or fresh parsley flakes.
This Spinach Dip is a version of the classic recipe that I make using Knorr Spinach dip. It has a few additions to the original recipe.
Sour Cream Spinach Dip Ingredients
Just a few simple ingredients are needed for this recipe. Refer to the recipe card for the measurements.
- sour cream - use a creamy blend of sour cream, generic or name brand.
- mayonnaise - use your favorite brand.
- spinach - fresh spinach or frozen spinach. If using fresh spinach, cook spinach and drain thoroughly. Use a cheesecloth or paper towel to squeeze excess moisture. Chop spinach into smaller pieces before using.
- water chestnuts - be sure to drain and remove excess water.
- Vegetable Recipe Mix - I use this Knorr Vegetable recipe mix.
- Parmesan cheese - shredded.
- Sourdough bread - Buy a full round, uncut loaf.
- dried minced onion
Substitutions and Variations
This makes a cold spinach dip, but you can easily make it a hot spinach dip.
You do not have to serve this in a bread bowl, but it is fun to serve the dip in a loaf of bread if you have a few extra minutes.
If you cannot find the Knorr veggie mix, you can use the he Knorr Leek Soup mix as a substitute.
For a healthy spinach dip recipe, you can sub greek yogurt for the sour cream and use a light mayo.
More Easy Dip Recipes
- Glazed Chicken Wings – a nice chicken wing recipe that is kid friendly and not spicy.
- Baked Jalapeno Poppers – a slightly spicy recipe that is great with cocktails.
- Spicy Hummus – Hummus with a little spice.
- Blue Cheese Chive Dip – a wonderful easy dip that goes with vegetables.
- Chorizo Deviled Eggs – a nice twist on traditional deviled eggs, with a touch of spice.
- Pizza Dip - A delicious hot cheesy dip for a gathering or party.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip - a wonderful hot dip with a kick!
- French Onion Dip Mix - A great dip mix to keep on hand.
Don't forget to pin this.
- Chop the onions ahead of time and store in a baggie in the refrigerator.
- Use pre-shredded Parmesan Cheese.
- You can prepare this ahead of time, but I would recommend not making more than one day in advance for freshness. It’s good for about three days in the refrigerator, but I recommend only making it a day in advance so it’s at peak freshness!
- For best results, store dip in an airtight container or sealed in plastic wrap in the refrigerator.
Easy Bread Bowl Spinach Dip Recipe
- 1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 160z container sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced onions
- 1 4 oz can water chestnuts drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1.4 oz packet Knorr Vegetable Recipe Mix
- 1 medium loaf of round sourdough bread
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Thaw the spinach and drain. Put in a sieve and squeeze dry to remove excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, stir together the chopped spinach, mayonnaise, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, onions, water chestnuts, salt, pepper, garlic powder and dip mix.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
I hope you loved this creamy spinach dip recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week.