This Easy Spicy Hummus recipe is ready in minutes. Made with garbanzo beans, spices, and some chili, it is perfect for a game day dish or a snack for TV watching.
With football season officially here, I cannot think of a better reason to make this Homemade Spicy Hummus recipe. I love hummus and the fact that it is healthier than a lot of other game day snacks, especially when served with fresh veggies.
It's one of those simple recipes that you will enjoy often.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Tasty. This red pepper hummus is a delicious twist on a classic hummus recipe and is made with simple ingredients.
Healthy Snack. It is also said that chickpeas can actually lower cholesterol, so it is a good snack. It is an especially great option when served with fresh vegetables.
Inexpensive. Making your own hummus is even better than store-bought hummus. It is fresher that the grocery store brand and more flavorful, in my opinion.
Versatile. This easy hummus recipe makes a great dip that goes with pita chips, tortilla chips, vegetables and warm pita bread.
Spicy Hummus Ingredients
- garbanzo beans
- olive oil
- tahini sesame seed paste
- sriracha sauce
- red pepper flakes
The Sriracha adds a nice heat to the hummus and wakes it up, so to speak. It is a great way to make a dip as an after-school snack or party appetizer.
This delicious dip is not only great with pita chips and vegetables, it is really special on toasted bread or in a wrap. Be sure to check out my Basic Hummus Recipe
How do you like your hummus?
Substitutions and Variations
This is a delicious recipe on its own, but here are a few ways to change it up.
- Cayenne pepper - add ¼ teaspoon to give it a little kick
- Jalapeño Peppers: Finely chop or blend fresh jalapeño peppers and add them in small amounts at a time to the hummus for more spice.
- Creamier Hummus: You can add a little more olive oil to reach desired consistency.
Can I use canned chickpeas for homemade hummus?
Yes, you can use canned chickpeas for convenience. Just make sure to drain and rinse them thoroughly before using. However, if you prefer to use dry garbanzo beans, you will need to soak them overnight and cook them until tender before making hummus.
What is tahini, and can I make hummus without it?
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds and is a main ingredient in traditional hummus. It adds a rich and nutty flavor to the hummus. I have not made hummus without it.
How long does homemade hummus last in the refrigerator?
Homemade hummus can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For best flavor, eat within 4 to 7 days.
Be sure to try my classic hummus recipe too.
Easy Dip Appetizer ideas
- Basic Homemade Hummus - This core recipe is perfect to add your own flavors!
- Homemade Pita Bread - So delicious and easy to make!
- Easy Spinach Dip in a Bread Bowl – A classic recipe made in a sourdough bread bowl. Includes a tutorial on the bread bowls for dips and soups.
- Hot Chorizo and Chili Dip – One of our favorite green chili dips with chorizo for added flavor.
- Cream Cheese Vegetable Dip – This dip goes perfectly with vegetables for a healthy appetizer idea.
Spicy Hummus Recipe
Spicy Hummus Recipe
- blender or food processor
- Rubber Spatula
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 15 ounces can of chickpeas garbanzo beans drained
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or similar hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1.4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Rinse and drain chickpeas.
- Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor..
- Blend on high speed until a smooth texture is achieved.
- Pour into a serving bowl and top with a teaspoon of olive oil, if desired.
- Keep refrigerated.