This Red White and Blue Trifle is a perfect dessert any time of year, but by using strawberries and blueberries, it is a patriotic dessert and is perfect for Memorial day or any 4th of July celebrations.
This Red White and Blue Trifle recipe is an easy delicious dessert and so easy. It comes together in just about 30 minutes!
This is one of our many Patriotic desserts for July 4th that you will want to bookmark for later.
Why This Recipe and What is a Trifle?
A trifle is an English dessert made of a sponge cake and fruit covered with layers of custard, jelly, and/or cream. Some recipes include rum or other spirits added to the dessert. It typically is served cold in a large trifle bowl on a footed stand.
This easy dessert recipe is different in that it makes individual trifle desserts. With the recent need for individual desserts, this is the perfect treat for the 4th of July.
I like to call it a 4th of July trifle because it is Red, White, and Blue. It is also delicious and very simple to make with fresh berries. You can change up the fruit for whatever is in season and it will still taste great.
These trifles are perfect for a party or barbecue dessert idea. Cool and refreshing, the delicious blend of fruit, cake, and cream is irresistible!
Ingredients For 4th of July Trifle
These individual trifles call for just a few ingredients.
Boxed Cake Mix - You can use your favorite boxed cake mix for this recipe. I recommend a Vanilla or White cake mix.
Strawberries - You will want to use fresh strawberries for this. Strawberries should be deep in color and should not contain any dark spots or mold. Wash and remove stems when preparing.
Blueberries - Again you will want to use fresh blueberries, free of spots or mold.
Eggs - I use Grade AA eggs.
Pudding - Use Vanilla instant pudding
Oil - I use vegetable or corn oil for the cake mix.
How to Make A Trifle
The full recipe is below but the basic steps are as follows:
- Prepare cake mix in a large bowl.
- Prepare creme separately.
- Bake cake as directed.
- Let cake cool before cutting into small pieces for layering.
Then just cut the cooled cake into cubes. Prepare the pudding.
In individual parfait or dessert cups, Layer the cake, fruit, and pudding layer. and repeat layers a second time. Be sure to use different layers for the blueberries and strawberries for visual appeal (don't mix them together in a layer).
Top with whipped cream and add a few pieces of fresh fruit on the top prior to serving.
Timesaving Tips to make this perfect every time
- You can use a premade pound cake or store-bought angel food cake (make sure it is a soft angel food cake) from the grocery store for an easy no bake dessert.
- You can prepare the whipping cream ahead of time. Keep the cream chilled in the refrigerator until ready to assemble. You can also use a pre-made topping such as cool whip.
- To avoid squashing the cake pieces, you can freeze the cake overnight, then cut it with a knife when ready to serve.
- Want an even quicker dessert? Omit the pudding and you have a patriotic short cake that looks just as pretty!
- You can double the recipe for a large party.
- Serve these in mason jars for a festive dessert.
What Should I Serve With Fourth of July Trifles?
These are great served with sprinkles or chopped nuts.
Can A Trifle Be Frozen?
You can freeze the breaded shrimp in a freezer in a sealed, freezer-safe container for about a month. Then make the sauce fresh.
Can A Trifle Be Made the Day Before?
You can prepare the cake the day before and you can have the fruit ready. However, you do not want to prepare the trifle until the day you will be serving as the liquid in the fruit and the cream will make the trifle soggy.
More Festive Dessert Ideas for A Fourth of July Celebration
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- Red White and Blue Dessert Trifles
- Independence Day Cupcakes
- Patriotic Pretzels
- 4th of July Cookie Cake
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
More Desserts for Patriotic Holidays
Fourth of July Cupcakes - Swirl the colors in both the mix and the frosting.
Fourth of July Pretzels. Fun and simple patriotic pretzels.
Red White and Blue Ice Cream. A fun and festive Red White and Blue no-churn ice cream.
Red White and Blue Parfaits - Delicious fruit and yogurt parfaits that are ready in minutes!
Red White and Blue Trifle
- 1 white cake mix
- 2 eggs for cake
- ⅓ cup oil for cake
- 1 cup strawberries washed and destemmed
- 1 cup blueberries washed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 package 3.4 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- Prepare cake mixr according to package directions.
- Bake in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake).
- Cool on a wire rack; cut into 1 inch. pieces
- While cake is baking, preapre cream by whipping cold heavy cream on high speed in a stand mixture. Add sugar and beat until peaks form. Keep refrigerated until cake is done,
- In another bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes; let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- For each trifle, place 3-4 pieces of cake in small mason jar or bowl.
- Add about ¼ cup of strawberries and top with about 3 tablespoons of pudding. Follow with a layer of blueberries.
- Spoon about ¼ cup of whipped cream mixture over the top. Repeat layers once more.
- Top with a few pieces of fresh fruit.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
Those sprinkles are awesome! I love a good trifle. These are ADORABLE.
Thanks so much Tamara!
Sew Crafty Crochet
This dessert looks so delicious, and those red, white, and blue sprinkles are patriotic perfection!
Thanks so much! They are really fun!
Donna @ Modern on Monticello
These look delicious! I am planning a roundup post from the link party of 4th of July dessert and will be including this dish. Thanks for sharing it. #HomeMattersParty
Thank you, Donna!
Thank you Donna!
Wow, this makes a great 4th dessert or any day. Congratulations, you are being featured on Thursday Favorite Things Party. I hope you stop by. https://www.eclecticredbarn.com/2021/06/thursday-favorite-things-party_17.html
Thank you so much Bev - you made my day!