This Red White and Blue Trifle is a perfect dessert any time of year, but by using strawberries and blueberries, it becomes a great 4th of July patriotic treat. This Red White and Blue Trifle recipe is deliciously tasty and so easy. It comes together in just about 30 minutes!
Why This Recipe and What is a Trifle?A trifle is an English dessert made of a sponge cake and fruit covered with layers of custard, jelly, and/or cream. Some recipes include rum or other spirits added to the dessert. It typically is served cold in a large trifle bowl on a footed stand. My recipe is different in that it makes individual trifle desserts. With the recent need for individual desserts, this is the perfect treat for the 4th of July. I like to call it a 4th of July trifle because it is Red, White, and Blue. It is also delicious and very simple to make. You can change up the fruit for whatever is in season and it will still taste [email protected]
These trifles are perfect for a party or barbecue dessert idea. Cool and refreshing, the delicious blend of fruit, cake, and cream is irresistible!
Ingredients For 4th of July TrifleThese individual trifles call for just a few ingredients. Boxed Cake Mix - You can use your favorite boxed cake mix for this recipe. I recommend a Vanilla or White cake mix. Strawberries - You will want to use fresh strawberries for this. Strawberries should be deep in color and should not contain any dark spots or mold. Wash and remove stems when preparing. Blueberries - Again you will want to use fresh blueberries, free of spots or mold. Eggs - I use Grade AA eggs. Pudding - Use Vanilla instant pudding Oil - I use vegetable or corn oil for the cake mix.
How to Make A TrifleThe full recipe is below but the basic steps are as follows:
- Prepare cake mix.
- Prepare creme separately.
- Bake cake as directed.
- Let cake cool before cutting into squares.
Timesaving Tips to make this perfect every time
- You can prepare the whipping cream ahead of time. Keep the cream chilled in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- To avoid squashing the cake pieces, you can freeze the cake overnight, then cut it with a knife when ready to serve.
- Want an even quicker dessert? Omit the pudding and you have a patriotic short cake that looks just as pretty!
- You can double the recipe for a large party.
What Should I Serve With Fourth of July Trifles?These are great served with sprinkles or chopped nuts.
Can A Trifle Be Frozen?You can freeze the breaded shrimp in a freezer in a sealed, freezer-safe container for about a month. Then make the sauce fresh.
Can A Trifle Be Made the Day Before?You can prepare the cake the day before and you can have the fruit ready. However, you do not want to prepare the trifle until the day you will be serving as the liquid in the fruit and the cream will make the trifle soggy.
More Festive Dessert Ideas for A Fourth of July Celebration
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- Red White and Blue Dessert Trifles
- Independence Day Cupcakes
- Patriotic Pretzels
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
Red White and Blue Trifle
This Red White and Blue Trifle is a perfect dessert any time of year. Strawberries and blueberries make it a great 4th of July treat.
- 1 white cake mix
- 2 eggs for cake
- ⅓ cup oil for cake
- 1 cup strawberries washed and destemmed
- 1 cup blueberries washed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 package 3.4 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- Prepare cake mixr according to package directions.
- Bake in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake).
- Cool on a wire rack; cut into 1 inch. pieces
- While cake is baking, preapre cream by whipping cold heavy cream on high speed in a stand mixture. Add sugar and beat until peaks form. Keep refrigerated until cake is done,
- In another bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes; let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- For each trifle, place 3-4 pieces of cake in small mason jar or bowl.
- Add about ¼ cup of fruit and top with about 3 tablepoons of pudding.
- Spoon about ¼ cup of whipped cream mixture over the top. Repeat layers once more.
- Top with a few pieces of fresh fruit.
Serving: 1gCalories: 430kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 6gFat: 34gSaturated Fat: 16gPolyunsaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 275mgFiber: 1gSugar: 19g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!