This easy Monterey Chicken Sandwich is perfect for an easy dinner or lunch idea. It does not take long to make and it is a nice change-up to the usual chicken dinners.
This melted cheese and chicken combination is one of my favorite sandwich ideas when I want something different. Green chilis add a subtle kick to this delicious Chicken Monterey Sandwich.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Today’s recipe is a simple one when you are looking for a tasty dinner or lunch idea to put together quickly. This is a nice chicken idea that is easy to make and great for tv viewing. I always love a good Monterey Chicken recipe and have made several versions of the dish.
Chicken – A grilled chicken breast is best on this sandwich, but I have used sliced rotisserie chicken too and it is still delicious.
Cheese – I use Monterey Jack cheese for this recipe. You can spice it up and use Pepper Jack cheese. The melty Jack cheese is a nice addition.
Barbecue Sauce – use your favorite bottled sauce for this recipe. This one is my favorite.
Lettuce - You can use iceberg or Romain, using fresh and crisp leaves.
Bread - You can use brioche bun, hamburger buns, sourdough bread or regular loaf bread.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe. It is perfect for a quick dinner or lunch idea and a great way to enjoy chicken.
Potato chips, french fries, coleslaw or green salad go great with these sandwiches.
Add a little ranch sauce or bbq sauce for an added zip. You can also add onion rings for an added crunch. It is also great with bacon strips.
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The sandwiches do not store well longer than a day.
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
- Pork Sliders -made with a simple, homemade barbecue sauce. Made in a slow cooker with a pork shoulder roast and delicious!
- Ham Sliders with Cranberry relish - A great choice for game day grub with not a lot of effort.
- Chicken Salad - Classic chicken salad made with onions, celery, mayo, and spices to make a delicious sandwich.
- Classic Egg Salad - Nothing beats a classic egg salad like grandma used to make.
Monterey Chicken Sandwich
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- dash of salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 slices red onion
- 2 slices Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 tablespoon green chilis
- 2 large lettuce leaves
- 4 slices bread
- 1. \Sprinkle salt and pepper equally on chicken breasts.
- Heat oil a large skillet or grill pan, cook chicken breasts over medium heat 5-7 minutes. Turn over the chicken, about 5 minutes more.
- Add barbecue sauce to pan and coat chicken for 2 minutes.
- Add a slice of cheese on top of each breast and cook for 1 minute or until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Place chicken on a paper towel to drain and then build a sandwich.
- On two slices of bread layer, lettuce, chicken breast with cheese, onion, and ½ of the green chilis
- Place another bread slice on top.
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
Those green chilis are calling to me! I wish I could say that my appetite is slow since I'm so pregnant right now. It's not, though! I want fluffy bread! I'd skip the onions, of course. We do have good already cooked cold chicken that I love to play with for lunches.
Oh I remember always being hungry when pregnant!