This easy Monterey Chicken Sandwich is perfect for an easy dinner or lunch idea. It does not take long to make and it is a nice change-up to the usual chicken dinners.
This melted cheese and chicken combination is one of my favorite sandwich ideas when I want something different. Green chilis add a subtle kick to this delicious meal.
I hope you are having an awesome week We are enjoying the cool weather of the season and also watching some of the new fall offerings on TV.
Today’s recipe is a simple one when you are looking for a tasty dinner or lunch idea to put together quickly. This is a nice chicken idea that is easy to make and great for tv viewing. I always love a good Monterey Chicken recipe and have made several versions of the dish.
For more great sandwich recipes ideas, check out:
- Pork Sliders -made with a simple, homemade barbecue sauce. Made in a slow cooker with a pork shoulder roast and delicious!
- Ham Sliders with Cranberry relish - A great choice for game day grub with not a lot of effort.
- Chicken Salad - Classic chicken salad made with onions, celery, mayo, and spices to make a delicious sandwich.
- Classic Egg Salad - Nothing beats a classic egg salad like grandma used to make.
List of main ingredients and tips for this recipe.
Chicken – A grilled chicken breast is best on this sandwich, but I have used sliced rotisserie chicken too and it is still delicious.
Cheese – I use Monterey Jack cheese for this recipe. You can spice it up and use Pepper Jack cheese.
Barbecue Sauce – use your favorite bottled sauce for this recipe. This one is my favorite.
Lettuce - You can use iceberg or Romain, using fresh and crisp leaves.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe. It is perfect for a quick dinner or lunch idea and a great way to enjoy chicken.
Monterey Chicken Sandwich
Monterey Chicken Sandwich
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- dash of salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 slices red onion
- 2 slices Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 tablespoon green chilis
- 2 large lettuce leaves
- 4 slices bread
- 1. Sprinkle salt and pepper equally on chicken breasts.
- 2. Heat oil a large skillet or grill pan, cook chicken breasts over medium heat 5-7 minutes. Turn over the chicken, about 5 minutes more.
- 3. Add barbecue sauce to pan and coat chicken for 2 minutes.
- 4. Add a slice of cheese on top of each breast and cook for 1 minute or until chicken reaches 165°F.
- 5. Place chicken on a paper towel to drain and then build a sandwich.
- 6. On two slices of bread layer, lettuce, chicken breast with cheese, onion, and ½ of the green chilis
- 7. Place another bread slice on top.
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.