A delicious Fried Chicken Tenders recipe served with a tangy sauce.. Made on your stove top, these easy chicken tenders come together in just about 30 minutes after they have had a chance to marinate!
This chicken tenders fried recipe is like a canes chicken tenders copycat recipe. We have several of the Raising Cane's eateries here in southern California. Be sure to try my Chick Fil A Copycat Nuggets recipe too.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
If you are like me, every once in a while there is nothing like a little fried chicken now and then.
These delicious chicken tenders are made in minutes with simple ingredients and make a great dinner idea or can be served as a lunch or game day appetizer.
This dish is quite inexpensive to make, chicken tenders are often on sale at the grocery store.
These are delicious and if you are a Cane's fan, they taste just like them. You can serve then with the tenders sauce or a buffalo sauce or both.
You can also serve these many different ways. The sauce makes these exceptional! It's a favorite dipping sauce!
Ingredients For Cane's Chicken Tenders Copycat
There are several parts to this recipe - the marinade, the dredge, the wash and the sauce. A homemade seasoning blend is used too but it is all easy to do.
Chicken. - You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts ore chicken tenderloins. I use whatever is on sale.
Oil. I use vegetable oil or canola oil
Bread Crumbs. You can use store bought or make your own. I prefer bread crumbs over panko crumbs because the bread is a little heartier coating.
Spices - for flavor
- Dutch oven or stock pot (no need for a deep fryer) You can use a cast iron skillet or electric skillet if you have one.
- baking sheet
- paper towels
- wire rack
How to Make Crispy Fried Chicken Tenders
Step-by-Step Instructions for Raising Canes Tenders and Sauce
Prepare Seasoning Blend and Marinade
- Prepare the buttermilk and egg mixture. This becomes the marinade.
- Cut chicken if not already cut into tender sizes.
- Marinate the chicken strips for a minimum of 2 hours. Use a zipped bag or covered dish.
Prepare Dredge, Wash and Tenders
- Prepare the seasoning blend.
- Prepare the dredge flour mixture.
- Set up a dredging station: flour, buttermilk, flour, wire rack to rest.
- Heat oil over medium high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade.
- Dip chicken into the seasoned flour mixture.
- Dip into the dredge (¾ cup buttermilk + 1 tablespoon seasoning blend)
- Dip back into the flour mix and coat well.
- Place on wire rack for a minimum of 10 minutes to let it absorb.
- Check oil. By this point the oil will be ready for the chicken.
To test it, drop a little flour over into the oil. When it sizzles the oil is hot enough.
- Place tenders slowly in the hot oil in a single layer using tongs.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until fully cooked.
- Set tenders on paper towels to remove excess oil. Repeat fry8ing in small batches.
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- You can make the seasoning blend a day or two before.
- If the oil is too hot it will fry the outside and leave the inside raw. Do not go over a medium-high heat temperature.
- Canola oil gives it a beautiful brown color and crunch, vegetable oil is also acceptable.
- The marinade is key and should not be skipped. For a deeper flavor marinade over night.
- For best results, let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour or two before frying.
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- You can change up the sauce and serve these with honey mustard sauce or ranch dressing. BBQ sauce works well too.
- You can use the same recipe and process to coat chicken breasts.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Serve these with sauce as an appetizer or meal idea. A fun way is to serve a few sauces with them for a gathering.
Ways to Cook Chicken Tenders
- pan fry in a cast iron skillet
- bake in the oven
- bake in an air fryer
Can you Marinate Chicken tenders Too Long?
Yes, uncooked meat can get mushy if marinated too long. The suggested time is 2 - 24 hours.
Can I use this to marinate Chicken Breasts?
Yes, you can use this for marinating chicken breasts. Do not reuse the marinade once you do.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
Chicken Tenders (Cane's Copycat Fried)
- Large stock pot or Dutch oven Tongs
- Wire Rack
- Paper towels
- 3 chicken breasts cut into strips 4-5 cups Canola Oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Seasoning blend recipe below
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon seasoning blend
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup Worcestershire
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- In a medium bowl, beat egg.
- Add buttermilk and to beaten egg mixture. This becomes the marinade.
- Marinate the chicken strips for a minimum of 2 hours using a ziploc bag or marinade dish,
Prepare Season Flour Mixture
- Prepare the seasoning blend and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine ¾ cup buttermilk + 1 tablespoon of the prepared seasoning blend.
- In a separate large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda, bread crumbs, and the remaining seasoning blend.
- Set up a dredging station for flour mixture and buttermilk mixture. Set up a wire rack to rest chicken.
- Begin to heat your canola oil over medium high heat.
- First remove the chicken from the marinade.
- Dip into the seasoned flour mixture.
- Dip into the dredge (buttermilk mixture).
- Dip again into the flour mix and coat well.
- Place on wire rack for a minimum of 10 minutes. Repeat for all chicken pieces.
- By this point the oil will be ready for the chicken.
- To test it, drop a little flour over into the oil. When it sizzles the oil is hot enough.
- Carefully place tenders in oil using tongs, .
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until fully cooked and golden brown.
Canola oil gives it a beautiful brown color and crunch, vegetable oil is also acceptable.
The marinade is key and should not be skipped. For a deeper flavor marinade over night.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
I hope you loved this easy fried chicken tenders recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe to the newsletter here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.