This 4th of July Poke Cake is an easy 4th of July dessert idea that is a family favorite. The red white and blue dessert is as easy to make as it is delicious.
Why You Will Love This 4th of July Dessert Idea
This poke cake recipe is the perfect dessert for patriotic holidays -Fourth of July, Memorial day and Labor day.
This easy 4th of July dessert is so pretty when you cut it. The red and blue colors are festive and it is so easy to make with the help of a box cake mix and a box of red gelatin and blue gelatin.
This is also a fun dessert for summer parties and action hero birthday celebrations.
Just a few simple ingredients are needed to make this easy dessert.
- white cake mix (I used a Betty Crocker mix, but you can use your favorite brand)
- red jello
- blue jello
- cool whip whipped topping
- patriotic sprinkles
See recipe card for quantities.
This cake is so easy to make. Here are a few step by step photos of the process,
The first step is to bake boxed cake mix according to package directions. Let cake cool completely,
When cake has cooled, poke holes into the cake using a chop stick or handle of a wooden spoon.
Carefully pour the liquid jello mixture into the holes, alternating holes. Then repeat with the second color for the empty holes.
Cool in the refrigerator at least one hour and then frost. Top with red and blue sprinkles.
The cake is fun and festive on the outside.
But the real beaut/y is on the inside, once the cake is cut.
Substitutions & Variations
You can change up the jello flavors easily or other occasions. I have done green and red for Christmas, Lemon and Blue for football season (team colors) and orange and green for Halloween,
- You can use Buttercream frosting or whipped cream as a change up.
- Fresh Fruit - You can decorate the top of the cake with strawberries and blueberries in place of the sprinkles.
- Cupcakes - You can make poke cupcakes for individual treats.
Just a few simple items are needed for this colorful poke cake:
- large bowl
- spoon or hand mixer
- 13 X 9 baking dish (I like to use.a glass cake pan but metal is ok too)
- chopsticks or wooden spoon
- 2 bowls for jello
- small spoon
Store covered in plastic wrap or in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Good for 2-3 days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Making a dual colored poke cake can be a little tricky the first time. You do not want to just pour the jello mixture over randomly. If you do this the colors will blend and you will have a purple poke cake. Instead, use a small spoon to spoon alternating colors into the holes,
More Red White and Blue Desserts
4th of July Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 cups boiling water separated
- 1 cup cold water separated
- 1 box 4-serving size strawberyr jello
- 1 box 4-serving size blue jello
- 1 container Cool whip
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray bottom of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs with electric mixer or hand mizer on low speed 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
- Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on cooling rack 20 minutes.
- After cake has cooled, poke cake every inch with a chopstick or wooden spoon handle
- Once cake has cooled, in a medium bowl, pour 1 cup boiling water on strawberry jello.
- Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add ½ cup of cold water and stir.
- In a separate bowl, mix blue jello with 1 cup of boiling water and stir until dissolved.
- Add ½ cup of cold water and stir.
- Start with one color jello and carefully pour strawberry gelatin into alternate holes with a small spoon,
- Then repeat the process with the 2nd color jello and pour into empty holes.
- Cool in refrigerator completely, about 1 hour.
- Frost with whipped topping.
We hope you loved this fun holiday poke cake recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
I never truly understood what a poke cake is, but I think I do now! And it looks awesome!
Kiddos think the colors on this are SO COOL. Such a party hit.
My family is always impressed when I make this cake! It is so good!
Such a fun and festive cake!