This retro Watergate Salad has so many names, but it is always creamy and delicious. I love old-school salad recipes and I think my Mom called this Seafoam Salad or Pistachio Fluff Salad.
This is similar to an Ambrosia Salad but makes this special is the Pistachio flavor and the fact that the salad is green. This makes it a perfect treat for a picnic, potluck or as a St. Patrick's Day dessert.
Today I went shopping and the weather was absolutely beautiful. It is days like these that remind me that spring is around the corner. Today’s recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a great potluck recipe or a fun dessert for St. Patrick's Day.
This recipe is from my childhood and the most unique thing about it is that it has so many names! Watergate salad, Seafoam Salad, Pistachio Fluff, and Green Ambrosia Salad all refer to this type of salad.
A long time ago, you would see salads made with gelatin at just about every social gathering. It was typically served in a big bowl, but I like serving it in individual dessert cups.
Ingredients to Make Watergate Salad/Pistachio Salad
Pistachio Pudding - This old-time favorite pudding is perfect to make this a true Watergate salad or a Pistachio Ambrosia salad. I love to use this brand.
Frozen Whipped Topping - I always use the Cool Whip - you can use the light version and it comes out fine.
Pineapple - Canned crushed pineapple works best, but you can use fresh, chopped pineapple too. Fresh pineapple can be run through a food processor so that it is the ideal size.
Nuts - I like to use Pecans in this recipe, but walnuts work well too.
Today’s recipe is a wonderful dessert idea that is very tasty. Chances are that it will be a new favorite if you have not tried it before. It is so festive and light for a delicious dessert idea.
For more great picnic recipe ideas try our:
Easy Ambrosia Salad – This easy throwback gelatin salad recipe is always fun and delicious!
Rainbow Fruit Parfaits - A wonderfully colorful and festive dessert or snack made with fresh, seasonal fruit.
Pistachio Pie - A delicious frozen pie made with ice cream in a cookie crust.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
Watergate Salad AKA Seafoam Salad
Watergate Salad or Seafoam Salad
- 1 3.4 oz Packaged Pistachio Instant Pudding
- 1 8oz Cool Whip Frozen Topping, thawed
- 1 20 oz can Crushed Pineapple
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Drain the Crushed pineapple and save the juice for another recipe or freeze in ice cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix together pudding mix and whipped topping, stirring gently until well combined.
- Add drained pineapple, marshmallows and pecans and stir.
- Pour into a large bowl or individual cups.
- Chill in refrigerator at least one hour.
- For Best Results, make this salad the morning of or the day before you are planning to serve it. It needs to be chilled, preferably for a few hours so that it sets.
- Pre-chop the pecans ahead of time. You can store nuts in an airtight container in the freezer or cupboard. I find it very helpful to have chopped nuts on hand.
- This recipe can be doubled.
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.