This easy Ambrosia Salad recipe is a great Picnic Salad recipe for the season. Made with fresh fruit and fruit cocktail swirled in slightly sweet cream. It is also a family favorite as my mother and grandmother used to make this salad for gatherings and celebrations.
Ambrosia Fruit Salad can be changed up with other fruits to make a festive and seasonal side dish. Be sure to check out muy timesaving tips after the recipe.
It's the outdoor concert season! It has been a while since I have shared a recipe. Today I am sharing a simple recipe for a Marshmallow Fruit salad that I have been eating since I was a little girl. When I was a kid I would see ambrosia salad at every Tupperware party, shower, or party that I attended.
Why You Will Love this Classic Ambrosia Recipe
Classic Recipe.I really miss seeing this salad as it truly reminds me of my childhood. What I like about the salad is that it's a way to get lots of great fruit and it can be put together rather quickly. It's also nice because you can make it the day before you need it. It is also very transportable, making it perfect for trips to the park, beach, or an outdoor summer concert.
Healthier Version. My recipe has no added sugar and I make mine with plain whipping cream, not heavy whipping cream to reduce the sugar content.
Tasty. What I love about this salad is that it is truly delicious and it brings back so many memories of days gone by.
- fruit cocktail
- mini marshmallows
- mandarin oranges
- whipping cream or whipped topping
- maraschino cherries (optional)
Variations/Substitutions for Ambrosia Salad Recipe
You can also add chopped apples, bananas, and/or nuts to this salad, as it is very versatile. Apples and bananas should be added right before serving to prevent browning.
You can make this Ambrosia Salad with Cool Whip in place of the whipped cream if you like.
You can add some chopped pecans to this recipe for added crunch.
More Dessert Salad Recipes
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
- It is best to cover this salad when chilling to preserve the flavors.
- You do not have to cut the grapes in half but I always do so that they are easier to eat.
- Make this salad the day before.
- ½ cup whipping cream (I do not use heavy, just regular whipping cream)
- 1 cup seedless grapes, washed and sliced
- 1 15.25 oz can fruit cocktail
- 1 11oz can mandarin oranges
- ¾ cup miniature marshmallows
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- 10 Maraschino cherries optional.
- In a mixing bowl or stand up mixer, beat whipping cream until peaks are stiff. Set aside.
- Drain the fruit cocktail and oranges really well.
- In a separate bowl, mix grapes, fruit cocktail, mandarin oranges and coconut together.
- Fold whipping cream into the fruit.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serve and enjoy!
We hope you enjoyed this classic ambrosia salad recipe. If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipe ideas and a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!