This easy Taco Soup recipe is a wonderful lunch or weeknight meal idea. Made with all the flavors of a delicious taco, the result is a hearty, flavorful warming soup.
This delicious taco soup does not take long to make and it goes wonderfully with warm tortillas or this homemade cornbread.
Hello Friends! Are you loving the new year?
Today’s recipe is a wonderful hot savory soup idea or lunch idea, that is perfect for any day. This soup incorporates all the flavors of a taco into a warm, soup.
Why You Will Love This Soup
- This is a delicious soup that the whole family is sure to love.
- This flavorful soup comes together quickly on your stove top making it perfect for busy weeknights.
- It is a perfect way to warm up in the winter months and it is a fun way to change up taco night. Enjoy the taste of ground beef tacos in a soup.
- This easy taco soup recipe is made with ground beef, vegetables, and a few pantry staples.
- This is the best taco soup recipe we have had.
Taco Soup Recipe Ingredients
Ground Beef – of course, they are the star of this show. I like to use lean ground beef, but you can use ground turkey as well and it will still come out wonderful.
Kidney Beans – I always use the generic brand of these because it is much cheaper than supreme brands. These add a southwestern flavor and lots of nutrition too! If you are on weight watchers, kidney beans have zero points, so I love incorporating them in recipes. If you don’t have kidney beans, you can use pinto beans.
Tomatoes – I use pre-chopped canned tomatoes to save time.
Taco Seasoning – Seriously, those taco seasoning packets work for so many great recipes. I stock up on these when they are on sale. You can also use homemade taco seasoning
Onion – I love red or white onions for this soup, but yellow onions work out well too!
garlic – if you don’t have garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt can be substituted.
Equipment & Tools to Make this recipe
- dutch oven or large pot
- slotted spoon
- sharp knife
- cutting board
How to Make Taco Soup
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- You can make this soup and double the recipe so that you can serve it easily in the future.
- Used crushed garlic in a jar to save time.
- Brown the ground beef ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. You can use it to quickly make this soup and other recipes.
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- You can substitute black beans for kidney beans.
- You can substitute chicken broth for the beef broth.
- You can use ground turkey in place of ground beef.
- You can make a chicken taco soup by substituting the bee with cooked chicken pieces.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a lime wedge. You can even add a little spoonful of pico de gallo.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container. I like to use freezer-safe plastic bags and then I have a meal that is ready to go,
- This soup is nice to serve with buttered tortillas or vegetable quesadillas for a cozy meal.
Can you Make this in a Pressure Cooker?
What should I serve with this?
- sliced green onions
- a few chopped bell peppers
- freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- tortilla strips or corn chips
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Chicken Tortilla Soup. A favorite dinner idea that is SO EASY!
- Hamburger Soup – A lovely soup made easily in your crock pot.
- Italian Wedding Soup – A soup recipe is full of flavor and warmth, perfect any time of year.
- Potato Chipotle Soup – A tasty potato soup revved up with a little Chipotle pepper and spices. Wonderful for a chilly day or evening.
- Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup – A classic flavorful, homestyle soup that brings back memories of simpler times.
Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 15.5 can kidney beans
- 2 14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 7 oz can green chilis, chopped
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- Saute onions, crushed garlic and ground beef in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook until beef is browned and drain oil.
- Add ground beef to large saucepan or pot.
- Add remaining ingredients except for tortilla chips and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top each bowl with a few tortilla chips
Thanks for stopping by! We hope you enjoyed this delicious taco soup recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.