This easy Potato Skins appetizer is perfect for a party appetizer or a game day snack! Made easily in minutes, these tasty bundles of cheesy potatoes can be ready in about 15 minutes.
Hi Friends! I hope you had a wonderful holiday! Ours was filled with friends, family, games, Christmas movies and lots and lots of baked treats. Now that we are moving on to a new month, we are prepping for game day! There is nothing like getting together with family and friends around the television to enjoy a good game!
Today’s recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a tasty appetizer to put together quickly. I love simple recipes like this, because not only can I use ingredients I already have on hand it is also a relatively inexpensive appetizer idea. I also love the way all the flavors come together in a cheesy snack in just minutes too.
I have been enjoying potato skins for years and honestly used to see them more at restaurants than I do now. The good news is that they are super easy to make at home.
Today’s recipe is a wonderful hot and cheesy appetizer is a wonderful way to enjoy pototoes any time of year and you can change up the toppings too!
Ingredients for Potato Skins
Potatoes – of course, they are the star of this show. I recommend using russet potatoes to make potato skins as they make for more crispy potato skins. Make sure the potatoes are brown and firm.
Cheese – I like to use cheddar, but you can use Monterey Jack, Mozerella or pepper jack cheese for a fun and tasty change up.
Butter – I always use real butter. Butter really complements potatoes – always.
Bacon– I’m a fan of anything with bacon and honestly these really elevate the potato skins. You can also top these with turkey bacon, pepperoni bits or ground beef.
Sour Cream – I clove the cool creaminess of sour cream on a potato skin but you can also top with plsin yogurt as asubtitute.
How to make Potato Skins
The first step is to wash the potatoes. Use a vegetable brush to scrub them clean.
Pat clean potatoes dry with a paper towel.
Once potatoes are baked, let cool and then cut in half. Hollow out the potatoes.
Fill up the little potato bowls with butter and cheese.
Then just bake and top with bacon, sour cream and salt and pepper.
For more great game day recipes ideas
- Glazed Chicken Wings – a nice chicken wing recipe that is kid-friendly and not spicy.
- Baked Jalapeno Poppers – a slightly spicy recipe that is great with cocktails.
- Spicy Hummus – Hummus with a little spice.
- Blue Cheese Chive Dip – a wonderful easy dip that goes with vegetables.
Baked Potato Skins Recipe
Baked Potato Skins
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 strips bacon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Wash potatoes and pat dry. Prick each potato with a fork several times to allow steam to escape while baking. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake potatoes in a 400• oven for one hour.
- Let cool a bit and cut potatoes in half and scoop out the inside of the potato, leaving about half an inch around the skin. You can use the inside of the potato for mashed potatoes.
- Place back on a baking sheet and turn up the oven to 450•
- Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of butter to each potato skin.
- Top with shredded cheese and return to oven for 6-8 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with cooked bacon bits and sour cream.
- Serve warm.
- You can pre-bake the potatoes in the microwave. Microwave potatoes (after pricking with a fork) in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate on high for 5 minutes. Turn potatoes over and microwave an additional five minutes or until soft.
- While you can make the potato skins in the microwave, I recommend doing the second baking in the over for more crispy potato skins.
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
Thanks for stopping by!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!