This Snowball Cookie recipe is also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies and is one of my favorite cookies ever. Pecan Snowball Cookies are delicious year round.
Little balls with pecans and drenched in powdered sugar, these always a hit at any table.
I make these in the springtime and they go great with iced tea or lemonade.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
They are sometimes referred to as Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding cookies, and Christmas Snowball cookies, but the result is always the same, delicious cookie.
Covered in powdered sugar, crumbly and filled with tiny pieces of pecans, these crumbly cookies are delightful. I have been enjoying these cookies since I was a child and today I am sharing my best snowball cookie recipe with you.
If you are looking for a fun holiday cookie to make, this is it. It is festive and always enjoyed in cookie swaps.
What Goes In This Recipe
One thing I love about this recipe is that it just calls for a few ingredients.
List of main ingredients:
Flour – I use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
Powdered Sugar – Powdered sugar (or confectioner's sugar) is a must for this recipe.
Pecans – Pecans work the best in this recipe, but you can use walnuts as a substitute.
How to make Snowball Cookie Recipe
The full recipe is in the recipe card below, but the basic steps are pictured below:
Then the dough is chilled and then rolled into balls.
and once baked, roll in the powdered sugar.
Be sure to bookmark this easy Snowball Cookies Recipe!
- Pre chop the pecans and keep them in the freezer ahead of time.
- You can make the dough the day before and keep stored in an airtight container until ready to bake.
- Be sure to roll them in the powdered sugar while they are still warm.
Variations and Substitutions
Almond Snowball Cookies - Substitute the peans with chopped almonds for this fun variation.
Walnut Snowball Cookies - Use chopped walnuts in place of the pecans to change it up a bit.
Can I Make These in Advance?
Yes, these are great made ahead the day before.
CanI I use a different Nuts in Snowball cookies?
Yes, you can use walnuts if you like.
More Holiday Cookie Recipes
- Ginger drops -Delicious ginger and molasses cookies.
- Peppermint Crunch cookies -
- Crisp Christmas Sugar Cookies – Light and crispy cookies, great for cookie cutters.
- Soft Snickerdoodles – light cinnamon cookies that are like air!
- Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe – delicious and perfect!
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies - These soft gingerbread cookies are ready for decorating or just enjoy on their own.
- White Chocolate Toffee Cookies - So easy to make and an addicting toffee flavor.
Pecan Snowball Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup pecans finely chopped
- Powdered sugar for coating
- 1. Preheat oven to 400° F .
- 2 .Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat together butter, ½ cup powdered sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- 4. Mix in salt and flour until well combined. Add nuts.
- 5. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place on prepared baking sheets
- 6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown
- 7. Remove from oven and cool slightly, about 2-3 minutes, on a wire rack.
- 8. Add remaining powdered sugar to a medium bowl.Roll cookies in powdered sugar and then roll them again. Place on wire rack to cool completely.
- 9.Store in an airtight container
I hope you loved this fun Christmas cookie recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!