This Snowball Cookie recipe is also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies and is one of my favorite cookies ever. Little balls with pecans and drenched in powdered sugar, these always a hit at any table.
These cute little balls are delicious year round. I make these in the springtime and they go great with iced tea or lemonade.
I'm coming at you today after doing a little baking. I am all about the cookies this time of year and this recipe is truly one of my favorite.
They are sometimes referred to as Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding cookies, and Christmas Snowball cookies, but the result is always the same, delicious cookie.
Covered in powdered sugar, crumbly and filled with tiny pieces of pecans. I have been enjoying these cookies since I was a child and today I am sharing my favorite recipe with you.
If you are looking for a fun holiday cookie to make, this is it. It is festive and always enjoyed in cookie swaps.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out these other holiday cookie recipes:
- Ginger drops -Delicious ginger and molasses cookies.
- Peppermint Crunch cookies -
- Crisp Christmas Sugar Cookies – Light and crispy cookies, great for cookie cutters.
- Soft Snickerdoodles – light cinnamon cookies that are like air!
- Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe – delicious and perfect!
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies - These soft gingerbread cookies are ready for decorating or just enjoy on their own.
- White Chocolate Toffee Cookies - So easy to make and an addicting toffee flavor.
One thing I love about this recipe is that it just calls for a few ingredients.
List of main ingredients:
Flour – I use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
Powdered Sugar – Powdered sugar (or confectioner's sugar) is a must for this recipe.
Pecans – Pecans work the best in this recipe, but you can use walnuts as a substitute.
How to make Snowball Cookie Recipe
The full recipe is below, but the basic steps are:
Then the dough is chilled and then rolled into balls.
and once baked, roll in the powdered sugar.
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe!
Snowball Cookie Recipe
Snowball Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup pecans finely chopped
- Powdered sugar for coating
- 1. Preheat oven to 400° F .
- 2 .Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat together butter, ½ cup powdered sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- 4. Mix in salt and flour until well combined. Add nuts.
- 5. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place on prepared baking sheets
- 6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown
- 7. Remove from oven and cool slightly, about 2-3 minutes, on a wire rack.
- 8. Add remaining powdered sugar to a medium bowl.
Roll cookies in powdered sugar and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- 9.Store in an airtight container
- Pre chop the pecans and keep them in the freezer ahead of time.
- You can make the dough the day before and keep stored in an airtight container until ready to bake.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.