This Jalapeno Jiffy Cornbread is a shortcut cornbread recipe that is perfect as a side dish for so many dinners.Jump to Recipe
This delightful spiced cornbread goes great with beef, chicken, pork and maybe best of all, with homemade chili.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This delicious sweet cornbread is made with a boxes of jiffy corn muffin mix and a few simple ingredients. The result is a bread with a sweet and spiced cornbread taste made with just a handful of ingredients.
When you are short on time, this jiffy jalapeno cornbread recipe makes for an easy side dish for bbq and Mexican dishes. The heat of the jalapenos add a little kick to the original recipe and these are ready with minimal effort.
This delicious side dish is so EASY and INEXPENSIVE to make. It is also a great way to use fresh jalapenos from your garden.
Just a few simple ingredients are needed for this recipe. Refer to the recipe card for the measurements.
- Jiffy cornbread baking mix - jiffy mix is often found at the dollar stores.
- jalapenos - I use canned jalapenos but you can use fresh jalapeños if desired.
- egg - large egg
- corn - you can use canned or frozen, just be sure to drain it before measuring.
- shredded cheddar cheese - I always shred it myself, but you can shred your own cheese ahead of time and keep it stocked in the refrigerator.
See recipe card for quantities.
Step by Step Instructions
The full recipe instructions are in the recipe card, but here is a step by step overview of the recipe
In a large mixing bowl, combine the jiffy cornbread mix, egg, milk, butter, salt and baking powder..
Add cheese, jalapeños and corn.
Mix well. It will feel more like a dough than a batter.
Place better in a greased baking dish. Bake as directed.
Soon it will be ready to eat. The best way to enjoy these is fresh out of the oven.
Substitutions & Variations
- Milder/Kid Friendly- instead of Jalapeno peppers, you can use canned green chilis, which have a milder flavor.
- Cheese - You can use use a Mexican blend cheese or a pepper jack cheese and kick up the spice level a little higher.
- moist cornbread muffin- You can also make these regular muffins or baby muffins using a standard muffin pan or mini muffin tins, respectively.
Equipment and Kitchen Tools
- large bowl
- square baking pan or cast iron skillet
.Store leftover Jalapeno Jiffy cornbread in an airtight container or freeze in a zip top bag.
This recipe makes a nice moist cornbread muffin, but it is even better when served with a little softened butter. So good!
Yes you can freeze corn bread for about 2 months. Wrap bread tightly with plastic wrap or foil.Then seal in a freezer bag or airtight container.
More Easy Bread Recipes
Cornbread from Cornmeal Recipe
Jalapeno Jiffy Cornbread
- 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 1 cup canned corn
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno
- ⅓ cup Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder;
- pinch salt
- Mix muffin mix, egg, milk and melted butter in a bowl.
- Add salt and baking powder. Mix again.
- Add grated cheddar cheese and finely chopped jalapeno.
- Knead the dough.
- Grease baking pan with butter or oil.
- lSpread out the dough.
- Dough will be a little thick.
- Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes at 375°f.
I hope you enjoyed this easy Mexican cornbread recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.