This chocolate chip cupcake recipe is so easy and delicious to make any time of year. Moist cupcakes are filled with chocolate chips and then frosted with a buttercream icing for a fun treat.
I love to take these to BBQs and picnics because everyone loves them. They are the best cupcakes for any special occasion.
These are one of our many delicious and easy cupcake recipes you will want to bookmark for later.
Why Try This Recipe
Easy Recipe. These easy chocolate chip cupcakes incredibly simple to make. With a box cake mix and just a few simple ingredients, just follow the simple steps, you'll have a delicious dessert in no time.
Incredible flavor: The chocolate chip flavor is out of this world. If you're a fan of all things chocolate, you won't be disappointed. Plus, the buttercream frosting on top gives the cake a creamy touch that will make your taste buds sing.
Moist and sweet: This delicious chocolate chip dessert dessert is moist and tender, with just the right amount of sweetness. This makes the perfect cupcakes that are always enjoyed.
- chocolate chips - use milk chocolate chips or semisweet chocolate chips
- all purpose flour
- unsalted butter - a room temperature
- vanilla extract
See recipe card for quantities.
Step 1 - Preheat oven and prepare cupcake tin with liners. In a large mixing bowl, assemble wet ingredients.
Step 2 - Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
Step 3 - Add chocolate chips and blend.
Step 4 - Let cupcakes cool on cooling rack.
Step 5 - Prepare the toppings for the cupcakes.
Step 6 - Frost cooled cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream frosting.
Step 7 - Add chocolate chips and cookie halves to top of cupcake.
Substitutions & Variations
- mini chocolate chips - these are cute as a optional topping
- semisweet chocolate chips - can be used in place of milk chocolate chips
- chocolate frosting - feel free to change up the frosting for additional chocolate flavor.
- chocolate sprinkles - can be added to the toppings.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Timesaving and Pro Tips
This makes the perfect dessert for any occasion. I find it helpful to make the frosting the day before and refrigerate it. Soften it in the microwave the day you make the cupcakes. Microwave at 5 - 10 second intervals until frosting reaches desired consistency.
Make sure to use high-quality liners and avoid overfilling them. Additionally, allowing the cupcakes to cool completely before removing them from the liners can also help.
Make sure not to overmix the batter. Mix until the ingredients are just combined, as overmixing can lead to denser cupcakes. Also, using room temperature ingredients and sifting the dry ingredients can contribute to a lighter texture.
After they have cooled completely, store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or two.
More Easy cupcake Recipes
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes Recipe
- Large Bowl
- muffin pan
- cupcake liners
- Hand mixer or any electric mixer
- piping bag
- piping tip
- 1 ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened (one stick)
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups cold milk whole milk preferred
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 10 oz bag milk chocolate chips divided
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 pkg Chocolate Chip cookies
- ½ cup Milk chocolate chips for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with liners (or spray with non-stick spray), set aside.
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add in the liquid ingredients - the separated egg whites (discard the yolks or save for a custard, creme brulee, etc), the milk, vanilla and oil. Thoroughly mix the ingredients - stopping the mixer and scraping the sides occasionally to ensure everything gets mixed in.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients - flour, salt and baking powder - and whisk.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the mixing bowl containing the butter and liquid ingredients. Stir on low speed for about a minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides. Continue to mix on medium speed for about another minute until the mixture is well combined.
- Using just one cup of the chocolate chips, add them to the cake batter, reserving the remaining chocolate chips for decoration.
- Fill each cupcake cavity until about ⅔ full of cupcake batter. Should get approximately 30 regular sized cupcakes.
- Bake for approximately 14-16 minutes or until slightly golden brown and the middle of each cupcake is set.
- Allow baked cupcakes to cool to the touch before decorating.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the softened butter and shortening Add in the salt, vanilla, milk and powdered sugar. Mix on low speed until most of the powdered sugar is incorporated, while scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Mix again on medium speed for about a minute to ensure all mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Once your frosting consistency is correct, transfer the mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a large star (or round) tip.
- Once the cupcakes are cool to the touch, they are ready to decorate. If the cupcakes are at all warm, it will melt the frosting and make a big mess. In a spiral movement, slowly squeeze the bag to pipe the frosting - starting at the outside edge and around to create a cone or mountain shape. Continue on until all the cupcakes are decorated.
- Decorate the top of the cupcakes with chopped chocolate pieces and chips. Cut each Chips Ahoy cookie in half and place into the frosting.
- Can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. They can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Our preferred chocolate chips are Ghirardelli - but any brand can be used
If you love this recipe, please consider giving it a five star rating.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share great recipes for the season that the entire family is sure to love and also a few things that I don’t share here. I will email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!