This easy Black Forest Cupcakes recipe is a nice way to celebrate cherry season. These moist chocolate cupcakes are a lovely way to enjoy a seasonal chocolate dessert.
This recipe uses fresh cherries to make a tasty cupcake, but you can also use cherry pie filling to save some time, and who doesn't love saving time?
This is one of our easy cupcake recipes that you will want to bookmark for later.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Flavorful. These delicious chocolate cupcakes are frosted with a whipped cream frosting and topped with fresh black cherries.
Easy. Made with fresh cherries, cocoa powder and a few other simple ingredients, these decadent black forest cupcakes are quite easy to make once you have all the ingredients in place.
Unique and Unexpected - This black forest cupcake recipe is a fun twist on the classic black forest cake. It is the perfect cupcake for a birthday celebration, because of its special flavors.
- cocoa powder
- baking spices
- heavy cream
- fresh cherries
- all purpose flour
See recipe card for quantities. For best results, use cherries and coffee at room temperature.
Substitutions & Variations
- cherry pie filling - instead of using fresh cherries, you can sub cherry pie filling.
- Espresso powder - use instead of white bread buns to make this gluten free
- coffee free - r can be replaced with a plant-based burger to make this vegetarian
- toppings - you can add shaved chocolate pieces or chopped nuts if you wish.
- yogurt - You may substitute the sour cream for yogurt, if desired.
Step 1 - Combine cherries, lemon and sugar in medium saucepan. Heat on low about 20 minutes. Set aside.
Step 2- In a separate mixing bowl, add wet ingredients. Blend together with mixer.
Step 3 - Add dry ingredients and mix together,
Step 4- Add cocoa powder and blend well.
Step 5 - Pour cupcake batter in liners. Bake as directed. While cupcakes are baking prepare heavy whipping cream..
Step 6 - Prepare frosting and gather cherrie sauce and cherries.
Step 7 - Frost the cupcakes and spoon cherry and sauce on top of the cupcake.
Place a cherry in the center of each cupcake.
- cherry pitter
- large mixing bowl and stand mixer or electric mixer
- cupcake tin
- wire rack
- piping bag and tip.
Store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Timesaving and Best Tips
- Fill the cupcake liners ⅔ full for best results.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- An easy way to save time is to streamline the fresh cherry filling. You can make it ahead of time or use a version from your grocery store.
To prevent cupcakes from sticking to the liners, make sure to use high-quality liners and avoid overfilling them.
After they have cooled completely, store cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you want to store them for a longer period, you can freeze them in airtight containers or freezer bags for up to three months.
Coffee simply enhances the flavor of chocolate. If you want to omit it, you can substitute water for the coffee.
More Easy Cupcake Recipe Ideas
Easy Black Forest Cupcakes
- Stand Mixer or electric mixer (hand)
- cupcake pan
- cupcake liners
- Wire Rack
- piping bag and tip optional
- cherry pitter
Classic Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients
- 1 1 /2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup freshly brewed coffee
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
Stabilized Whipping Cream frosting
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped and de-seeded fresh cherries
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place liners in a cupcake pan, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the sugar, sour cream, oil, egg, baking powder, and salt. Combine well.
- Add in the dry ingredients: cocoa powder, coffee, vanilla and flour. Mix well - stopping the mixer, scraping the sides and mixing again until smooth.
- Fill each cupcake liner until about ⅔ full. Bake in preheated oven for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- To make the cherry sauce - ensure that all seeds and stems have been removed from the cherries. Combine the chopped cherries, lemon juice and sugar in a small sauce pan and simmer over low heat for approximately 20 minutes or until the cherries have liquefied. Remove from the heat and allow to cool before decorating the cupcakes.
- To make the stabilized whipped cream - combine the gelatin and water and microwave for approximately 30 seconds. Stir to ensure the gelatin is melted and allow to cool slightly while making the whipped cream.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat on high speed for about 2-3 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Drizzle the water gelatin mixture over the whipped cream and gently fold in by hand until well combined. Transfer the whipped cream to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, the cherry sauce has cooled and the whipping cream has been made, you’re ready to decorate.
- Gently pipe a swirl of whipping cream on each cupcake. Using a spoon, scoop out a cherry and gently place on top of the whipping cream in the center of the cupcake. The sauce will drip down the sides of the cupcake. Add more if desired.