This easy Old Fashioned Coca Cola Cake is perfect for a dessert or snack any day! Rich with chocolate and a pecan topped frosting, it is sure to be a family favorite year-round!
This cake is chocolate goodness with a chocolate and pecan icing that is literally poured on top of the warm cake. SO GOOD!
Hello Friends! How is your week going? Are you doing any online shopping as I have? I have been finding a few fall things online and while it isn't nearly as fun as shopping in person, it sure is convenient. Plus it is kind of fun getting packages in the mail, they are like gifts even though I bought them myself.
Why this Recipe?
Today I am sharing another FANTASTIC cake recipe. This one is for the homestyle favorite, the Coca Cola Cake. This cake is perfect for dinner parties, potlucks, and gatherings, and while we aren't doing much of that this year, you can still make the cake for your family,
It makes a rich and delicious chocolate cake and it is always the first dessert to go at a barbecue.
Coca Cola Cake Ingredients
Today’s Coca Cola cake recipe is a wonderful chocolate dessert that is perfectly delicious. This one does take a few extra steps, so be sure to plan a little extra time for this recipe, I promise it is worth it.
List of main ingredients:
Cola– I have made this recipe with Coca Cola and Coke Zero. I prefer the regular Coca Cola for this recipe. Do not use Diet Coke as the flavor will be off.
Unsweetened Cocoa – I often will use the generic brand of unsweetened cocoa and it works wonderfully. No need to purchase an expensive brand.
Buttermilk – Texas sheet cake with buttermilk is truly best, but if you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can substitute a mixture of ½ cup of milk with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. The lemon juice will curdle the milk a bit.
Butter – I love using real butter for my recipes, margarine will work too, but life is short so why not butter?
How to Make Coca Cola Cake
The full directions are below, but here is a summary.
- Blend the flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
- In a pan, melt butter and brown sugar.
- Add the coke and chocolate chips. I used Coke Zero, see ingredient notes above.
- Heat on the stove.
5. Let chocolate cool a bit and add to dry ingredients.
6. Pour into a prepared pan,
7. Smooth out the batter for an even bake.
8. Bake in the oven.
For the frosting,
- Melt butter, cocoa, and powdered sugar.
- Heat over the stove.
- Pour on top of warm cake.
- Let cake set and enjoy!!
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe. Trust me, you are going to want to make it again and again.
Coca Cola Cake
Old Fashioned Coca Cola Cake
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup Coca Cola
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup Coca Cola
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Spray a 13" x 9" baking pan with baking spray and dust with flour.
- 3. In a bowl mixed together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- 4. In a medium saucepan bring butter, Coke, buttermilk, and cocoa powder to a boil over medium-high heat whisking constantly.
- 5. Remove chocolate from heat and whisk butter mixture into flour mixture until smooth.
- 6. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- 7. Spread batter into a pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a medium saucepan, bring butter Coke, and cocoa powder to a boil over medium heat whisking constantly. Remove and gradually whisk in powdered sugar until smooth and pour over cake.
Timesaving Tips to Make this Recipe
How will I know if the cake is ready?
The cake is ready when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Start testing the cake approximately 10 minutes before the recipe states to avoid over-cooking.
Can I change the soda in this cale?
Yes, this cake tastes great with cherry cola or vanilla cola. I don't recommend using diet coke.
More Easy Cake Recipes
Be sure to check out these other great dessert cakes I have shared in the past:
- Texas Sheet Cake - Another one of those delicious and moist chocolatey cakes!
- Lemon Bundt Cake - A light lemon cake with poppyseeds that is a tropical treat.
- Mango Coconut Cake -super easy to make and is perfect for all of your upcoming celebrations! Made with fresh mango and topped with a lovely cream cheese frosting, it is sure to become a favorite recipe!
- Banana Chocolate Chip Pound Cake -a wonderful dessert cake for any season. It is a beautiful cake as a complement with coffee or tea or as an afternoon snack.
We hope you enjoyed this delicious Coca cola cake recipe.
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.