This Wonderful Copycat McDonald's Sweet Tea Recipe is a refreshing tea recipe and is like a copycat McDonald's Sweet Tea. My husband loves sweet tea and during the warmer months we usually have a pitcher in the refrigerator.
By making sweet tea at home, you can control just how sweet you want it. I like it over a glass full of ice cubes with a slice of lemon or orange.
Hello Friends! Summer is nearly here! As things take on a new beginning this season, we are enjoying more days out in the sun. Because of that, it has been a nice time to make some sweet tea to enjoy out in the yard.
Today’s sweet iced tea recipe is an easy one when you are looking for a delicious and refreshing drink for a summer or spring day. It only takes a few ingredients, so you can make this year-round if you like! I drink tea all year and it is truly one of my favorite beverages.
This sweet tea recipe is meant to be enjoyed either as is or with creamer. I don't typically add creamer, but I know that some people like their ice tea that way.
This is also so economical to make and chances are you already have the ingredients in your pantry. I will often whip up a bunch and it keeps in the refrigerator for us throughout the week.
List of main ingredients.
Tea– Many ask, how many tea bags for a gallon of sweet tea? For this recipe, we are using three family-sized tea bags. If you are using regular tea bags, you will need eight of them for a gallon.
Water – Tap water is boiled for this recipe so no need to use bottled water.
Sugar – This has a bit of sugar in it, but you can control the sweetness to your taste and use less sugar if you want.
Variations on this recipe.
You can sweeten the tea with a dash of honey or agave syrup if you would rather.
For more great summer beverage recipes ideas
- Peach Iced Tea. This delicious peach tea recipe is both refreshing and tasty.
- Strawberry Iced Tea - One of my favorite versions of iced t4ea.
- Easy Homemade Strawberry Lemonade - If you are a lemonade lover, you will love this refreshing twist.
- Watermelon Agua Fresca - A refreshing and thirst-quenching drink made from fresh watermelon. SO GOOD!
- Honeydew Agua Fresca - Another variation on a summer melon drink that is so easy to make.
- Mint Simple Syrup - a great addition to tea or as a flavored water.
How to make Sweet Tea
The most important thing to remember when steeping the tea is that you need to give it at least 5 minutes for a good steep.
2. Then you will add a pinch of baking soda because it neutralizes the tannins in the black tea to give it a much smoother taste.
After chilling, you can enjoy your tea!
Don't forget to pin this recipe.
Sweet Tea Recipe
- 16 cups filtered water divided
- 3 family-sized tea bags
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- Pinch baking soda
- 1. Place 4 cups of water in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Remove the saucepan from heat and add the tea bags. Cover and allow the tea to steep for 5 to 6 minutes. (Steep longer for a stronger tea.)
- 3. Meanwhile, add an additional 12 cups of water and a pinch of baking soda to a gallon-sized pitcher.
- 4. Remove tea bags from saucepot, gently squeezing to remove the excess tea. Discard the tea bags.
- 5. To the saucepan, add the sugar and stir until completely blended.
- 6. Pour the tea into the gallon-sized pitcher with the water. Stir to combine.
- 7.Cover the pitcher and refrigerate. Best if refrigerated overnight.
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
Oh, my! I was never one for tea, but there is something about sweet tea in the summer. My mom always has a pitcher going and it's so comforting.
Yes, I agree tea is so comforting!
This looks absolutely delicious🙌🏻 I’d luv to invite you to share it with us over at Charming Homes and Gardens Wednesday - Sunday https://www.dabblinganddecorating.com/single-post/2020/05/24/DIY-Outdoor-Grilling-Station
Thanks so much Ann!