These cookies and cream cupcakes are a delicious treat to enjoy any time of year. These delicious cupcakes are topped with a delicious Oreo buttercream frosting.
Of all the cupcakes cookies and cream are some of the easiest to make and like my Cookies and Cream ice cream pie, they are delicious!
Why You Will Love This Cookies and Cream Cupcake Recipe
This recipe is made with the help of a store-bought cake mix.It does not take a lot of time to make and everyone loves the cupcakes.
These are fun to make - cupcakes with cookies in them bring the best of two desserts!
This recipe is pretty economical too. You can often find the cookies on sale. You can even use a generic brand of cookies if you like.
Just a few simple ingredients are needed for this recipe.
- cake mix
- egg whites
- whole Oreo cookies
- room temperature butter
- heavy cream or milk
- powdered sugar
- cream cheese
- Oreo cookie crumbs (make these by crushing whole cookie)
See recipe card for quantities.
Cookies and Cream Cupcake Instructions
The full recipe is below, but here are a few shots of the process.
Step One: Combine cake mix and pudding mix.
Add cookie crumbs.
Add wet ingredients and mix well. Spoon into cupcake pans. Bake as directed.
Prepare frosting - mix cream cheese and butter.
Add remaining ingredients and mix at high speed until soft peaks form. Frost cupcakes once the cupcakes are cool.
Hint: For a fun option you can top the cupcakes with a few mini Oreo cookie.
Substitutions & Variations
- Whole eggs - you may substitute 2 whole eggs in place of 4 egg whites.
- Unsalted butter - if using unsalted butter, add a ½ teaspoon of salt to the frosting.
- Frosting - You can substitute the cream cheese Oreo frosting with a simple vanilla buttercream or chocolate frosting
Equipment & Kitchen Tools
- large bowl
- second separate bowl for frosting
- electric mixer with paddle attachment or hand mixer
- muffin tin or pan
- baking liners
- wire rack
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container.
Cookie Flavor - You can try these with Golden Oreos or one of the other seasonal Oreo flavored cookies for a fun twist.
You should fill cupcake liners about ⅔ to ¾ of the way full.
Use a measuring cup to pour batter into liners.
Cupcakes tend to bake higher in paper liners. They are also easier to remove from the pan
More Cookies and Cream Recipes
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- cupcake liners
- cupcake pan
- Stand or hand mixer
- 1 box white or yellow cake mix
- ¾ cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large egg whites not pictured in ingredients photo
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 4.2 ounce box of Oreo Cookies ‘n Cream Pudding
- 10 chocolate sandwich cookies crushed
Oreo Frosting Ingredients
- 1 ¼ cups salted butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk half and half or heavy cream
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 10 chocolate sandwich cookies crushed
- 6 chocolate sandwich cookies cream removed and cut in half
Cake - Cookies and Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or line a standard muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients:f cake mix, and pudding mix. Whisk in the 10 crushed chocolate cookies.
- Add wet ingredients: water, milk, egg whites and oil. Using a hand or stand mixer, beat on medium until well incorporated.
- Pour cake batter into the muffin tin until each is about ⅔ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese, and beat until light and fluffy. Mix in the clear vanilla extract.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, while adding a tablespoon of the milk, half and half or cream in between each cup. Continue to mix for 1 minute or until creamy.
- Mix in the crushed Oreo cookie pieces. Prepare piping bag and fill bag with frosting.
Frosting the Cupcakes
- Frost the cupcakes. You can use a decorating tip or an offset spatula.
- Top with a chocolate cookie half or crushed cookies,
- Makes 24 cupcakes.
.If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe to the newsletter here.
I share easy recipes and celebration ideas for the season. I also share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
Do you have a student going off to college this year? Or if you are a recent student, did I leave anything off of this list?