This easy Christmas Meringue Cookies recipe is a wonderful holiday cookie recipe. A basic meringue cookie recipe is colored to look festive for the holidays.
We are all about simple Christmas Cookie recipes here and these cookies are sure to be a family favorite. They look so pretty on a dessert table.
Be sure to check out all of our Classic Christmas Cookie recipes.
Why You Will Love This Meringue Cookie Recipe
These cookies are beautiful on your Christmas dessert table or in a box or basket for an edible gift idea.
Although they may look difficult, these cookies are actually easy to make.
You can change up the recipe for different occasions using different extract flavors and food coloring. For example, you can use light blue or pink color for a baby shower.
These are a great way to celebrate the holiday season. They are lovely at a holiday tea party.
These also make a nice gift idea for friends or as a fim cookie for a cookie exchange.
Ingredients For Meringue Cookies
- 3 eggs whites - separate the egg yolks and save for another recipe.
- Cream of tartar
- Peppermint extract
- Granulated sugar
- Red paste food coloring
Equipment and Kitchen Tools Needed
- large mixing bowl
- electric mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment
- cookie sheet
- piping bag and large star piping tip
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- You can substitute vanilla extract, almond extract, or lemon extract for peppermint extract.
- You can double the recipe and make extra for gifts.
- You can change up the food coloring and make some green and white for a really festive presentation.
How to Make Christmas Meringue Cookies
Step By Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, extract and salt with a whisk attachment.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, extract and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar to meringue mixture 1 tablespoon at a time, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Peaks should be
- Using a brush, add stripes to the inside of a plastic decorator bag fitted with a large star or round tip. Fill the bag with meringue
- Pipe cookies onto a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 90 minutes or until cookies set.
Turn oven off and leave the oven door slightly open for 60 minutes
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- It takes a little practice to get the cookies to come out of the piping tip just right, so have patience.
- These are
- You can divide the batter into thirds and make some green and white meringues using the same process.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
- Be sure to place in a dry area and avoid the humidity or they will get soggy.
- Store cookies with different flavors in separate containers, or they will pick up the flavors of the other cookies.
- You can freeze these cookies.
- Allow them to thaw at room temperature. Storing meringue cookies in the refrigerator will cause them to become very soft and sticky.
- To defrost frozen meringue cookies, remove the container from the freezer and allow the cookies to thaw at room tempurature for several hours, until thawed completely.
Are Meringue Cookies Gluten Free?
Yes, Meringue cookies are gluten-free.
How Long do Meringue Cookies last?
Honestly, meringue cookies are best when eaten within a week.
Why are Meringue Cookies Sticky?
It could be that there is a lot of humidity in the air. Tried to avoid making these on a humid day.
More Cookie Recipes
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
Christmas Meringue Cookies
- 3 eggs whites room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Red paste food coloring no taste is best
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, extract and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form
- Gradually add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form
- Using a brush, add stripes to the inside of a plastic decorator bag fitted with a large star or round tip
- Fill bag with meringue
- Pipe cookies onto prepared baking sheet
- Bake for 90 minutes or until cookies are set
- Turn oven off and leave oven door slightly open for 60 minutes
- Remove from oven
We hope you enjoyed these classic meringue cookies. If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe to the newsletter here.
I share lots of easy recipes and tips, plus a few things that I don’t share here. If you sign up, I will email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.