A beautiful chocolate trifle is all you need to elevate your next party or give your family a memorable dessert. Our chocolate trifle recipe is both easy and delicious.
Plan to make your trifle ahead of time so that it can be chilled before serving. This will free you up to concentrate on foods that will need to be served hot or last minute additions to your menu. Don't forget to save space in the refrigerator.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, it is so easy to make different variations. Choose a different type of cake mix or a different flavor of pudding or a different topping, and you have a different, but equally delicious dessert!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This chocolate trifle recipe is so easy because you use a cake mix and instant pudding. No need for fancy ingredients to have great taste.
- These are easy to serve because they are in individual dessert cups. No need to try to serve from a large bowl.
- These look so pretty on your holiday table. Everyone loves a layered dessert!
- Eating chocolate trifle will remind you and your guests of comforting days at Grandma's house or special celebrations. It is the perfect comfort dessert!
- You can add little decorations on the top to suit the occaision,
Kids can help make this chocolate trifle recipe, which helps you spend quality time with your children and build memories as a family.
How to Make Chocolate Trifle
Ingredients for the Chocolate Trifle Recipe
Chocolate cake mix. Any cake mix, any brand will work.
Large Eggs. Set these out ahead of time so that they are at room temperature when you are ready to bake the cake.
Vegetable Oil. Canola Oil will also work.
Buttermilk. You can also use milk or water. If you want to use buttermilk but don't have any, try this recipe to make your own.
Instant Chocolate Pudding. You could use a different flavor if you prefer. That's one of the beauties of this recipe. Kids love helping make pudding when you get a pudding shaker by the way. Just add the milk and pudding mix to the shaker, close the lid tightly, and go to town shaking it until the pudding thickens up.
Cold Milk. The pudding will set much faster if you start with thoroughly chilled milk. So this is not a good thing to make the second you get home from the grocery store and unload your car.
Whipped Topping. This usually comes frozen so make sure it is thawed.
Toppings for Garnish. Optional.
Make your trifle beautiful by adding any combination of these toppings.
- Chocolate Sprinkles.
- Chocolate Mint Chips or White Chocolate Chips.
- Cocoa Nibs.
- Flaked Coconut.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f and gather ingredients.
- Prepare chocolate cake mix according to directions on the box with eggs, oil, and milk.
- Mix well with a hand mixer or electric mixer.
- Pour cake batter into a 13 x 9 "pan and bake according to directions on the box.
- Cool completely and in another medium bowl, whisk together pudding and milk until smooth. Place it in the refrigerator to set.
- Assemble trifles, layer cake, pudding, and whipped topping. Top with garnish if you like. This is optional but adds a beautiful touch. Serve immediately or place in refrigerator until ready to serve. Trifle sshould be served the same day for best results.
What is a Chocolate Trifle?
This particular dessert is one that is built from layers of cake with creamy in between layers. Trifles can include any variety of layers including fruit, chopped candy, pudding, whipped cream, or cheesecake.
Can I make Chocolate Trifle with Brownie Mix?
If you do not have a cake mix, a brownie mix will work. Ideally, you should make the brownie mix with the "cakelike" instructions. Brownies will make a chewier trifle but it will still taste great! It is not quite the same because the liquids will not soak into the brownies in the same way.
Does a Chocolate Trifle Have to be Refrigerated?
Yes. You should keep a trifle in the refrigerator until it is ready to serve and immediately after serving. Store in an airtight container for up to four days until the cake is too soggy or the pudding gets weepy. It is best served to guests on the same day but can be enjoyed for several days.
Can Chocolate Trifle be Frozen?
Yes! Freeze individual portions of leftovers for a quick and tasty dessert you can take with your lunch or have after dinner with no effort. Trifle freezes softly enough you may not even have to thaw it completely to enjoy it.
More Recipes for Your Chocolate Fix
- Chocolate cake mix
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- ⅓ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk milk or water
- 1 large 5.1 oz box instant chocolate pudding
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 8 oz tub whipped topping, thawed
- Toppings optional
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Chocolate mint chips
- Prepare cake mix according to directions on box with eggs, oil and milk
- Bake in 13x9 pan according to directions on box
- Cool completely
- Meanwhile, whisk together pudding and milk until smooth in a large bowl and place in refrigerator to set
- To assemble trifles, layer cake, pudding and whipped topping
- Top with garnish if you like
- Serve immediately or place in refrigerator until ready to serve
- Should be served same day
We hope you enjoyed this delicious holiday recipe idea. If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe to the newsletter here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.