Grab a rotisserie chicken and throw together an appetizer fast. My Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels are easy to make, require very few ingredients and will be a party favorite.
This easy buffalo chicken pinwheel recipe is one of our easy appetizer recipes that you will want to bookmark for later.
Why This Recipe
Tasty. The buffalo chicken tortilla pinwheels combine tasty chicken with ranch dressing and hot sauce for a delicious game day party appetizer. They are the perfect party appetizer and they will go fast at your next gathering.
The perfect party protein. These Buffalo pinwheels are a super handy no-mess protein your guests can pick up with their hands without getting messy. They are two-bite finger foods that the perfect appetizer and are made with simple ingredients.
Quick and Easy Recipe. You can throw these together very last minute using pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and a handful of store-bought ingredients. Unlike most appetizers, this is not a fancy process.
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
Cooked Shredded Chicken. It's so easy just to grab a rotisserie chicken at the store, pull all the chicken off the bones, and dice it up for this recipe. If you already have pulled chicken in your refrigerator or freezer, that works too. Should you want to make your own, you can toss several chicken breasts or thighs in your Instant Pot, pressure cook it on high for 25 minutes or so and then shred it with a hand mixer.
Hot Sauce. The traditional buffalo sauce is made with Frank's Red Hot, but you can use the hot sauce of your choice.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese. Use your favorite! I tend toward sharp cheddar or extra sharp cheddar just because the flavor is more intense so it doesn't get swallowed up by the hot sauce.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- Mix together chicken, cream cheese, ranch dressing and hot sauce in a large bowl until blended.
- Place one tortilla on a cutting board or cookie sheet.
- Spread ¼ cup of chicken cream cheese mixture onto tortilla. Spread buffalo chicken filling to edges of tortilla using a butter knife or spatula.
- Sprinkle with about 3 tablespoons of cheddar cheese.
- Roll up tortilla beginning on one end.
- Repeat for remaining tortillas.
- Slice into 1" pinwheels.
- Cover rolled tortillas with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Full recipe in recipe card.
Tips for the Best Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
These are delicious buffalo chicken pinwheels as is.
If you are having trouble rolling the tortillas without breakage, you can heat each one briefly on a skillet for a few seconds, or microwave the stack for thirty seconds or so with a wet paper towel covering them. You don't want to get them too warm, just a little more pliable.
Your chicken will work best if it is shredded or diced small. You want to get nice even coverage of chicken on each pinwheel, and large chunks will not work.
Do I have to soften the cream cheese?
No. While it will mix easier if the cream cheese is softened to room temperature if you forget you can still make this appetizer.
How do I store leftover buffalo chicken pinwheels?
If this appetizer has been sitting out for several hours you may want to throw them away. It would be a good idea to refrigerate the pinwheels and only pull out a small amount at a time for the party, replacing as needed to lessen waste.
If they haven't been sitting out, the pinwheels can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a couple of days. You can also freeze the pinwheels and pull them out as needed for a quick lunch or snack.
More Buffalo Chicken Appetizers
Easy Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- Plastic Wrap
- serrated knife / sharp knife
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 8oz block, cream cheese
- ½ cup hot sauce
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- ¾ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- green onions
- chips or crackers
- 2 Flour tortillas
- Mix together ream cheese, ranch dressing and garlic salt in a large bowl or oven-safe dish.
- Add chicken and hot sauce and mix well.
- Lay tortilla flat on plate or cutting board.
- top with shredded cheese
- Roll up tortilla tightly starting at one end. Cut in to 1" slices.
- Add green onions or chives for garnish.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season that the entire family is sure to love and also a few things that I don’t share here.