This Unstuffed Pepper Soup is the perfect comforting hearty soup for the season.
Made easily on your stove top or in a slow cooker, this delicious soup recipe has all the flavors of a traditional stuffed pepper dinner but in a deconstructed soup form. I love making it on chilly evenings as it is so savory and flavorful.
This is the perfect recipe for soup season. This filling soup makes hearty meal for a cold day or night. It is full of fabulous flavors.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Easy Recipe. This easy soup recipe comes together simply in a large pot or dutch oven on your stovetop or crockpot. It just requires a few simple ingredients thrown together making it a great dinner choice for busy weeknight
Tasty and Flavorful. This hearty soup is made with vegetables, rice and savory ground beef that the family loves.
Budget Friendly. Made with healthy ingredients and comforting flavors, this soup is very inexpensive to make. I usually have most, if not all of the ingredients on hand.
Versatile. This pepper soup recipe can be varied in a lot of ways,
- green bell pepper
- lean ground beef
- beef broth or beef stock
- Italian seasoning
- white long grain rice
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- salt and black pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Bell Pepper Soup Substitutions & Variations
Broth. You can easily substitute chicken broth or vegetable broth for the beef broth. I have made this soup with all of then.
Veggies. You can easily add more vegetables like potatoes and carrots. You can also sub cauliflower rice for white rice.
Spiced. You can add a little cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes for some additional heat.
Meat. Ground turkey or ground chicken can be subbed for ground beef.
How to Make Unstuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
Step 1 - In a large pot or dutch oven dish, sauté onion and bell peppers in olive oil until onion is translucent. Set sautéd vegetables aside in a dish.
Step 2 - Meanwhile, prepare the rice if it is not already cooked. See note below.
In the same pot, brown the Ground beef over medium-high heat, stirring often, Once meat is browned, drain beef.
Step 3 - Add tomatoes and sautéd veggies to the ground beef.
Step 4 - Add broth, tomato soup and spices.
Step 5 - Add cooked rice to the soup.
Reduce heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are tender. I like to serve with a few pieces of chopped parsley.
Crock Pot Slow Cooker Instructions
- In a medium skillet, sauté celery, onions and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the ground beef until browned, Drain.
- Add beef, vegetables and remaining ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Timesaving Tips and Helpful Hints
With a little planning and these handy tips, you can have a steaming bowl of homemade goodness on the table in no time, even on the busiest weeknights.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator 3-4 days.
- Make a day ahead and enjoy the next day.
- Prep ingredients in advance: If you know you'll be making soup later, chop vegetables, shred meat, or even cook grains like rice or barley ahead of time. This makes assembling the soup a breeze when you're short on time.
- This is a very freezable soup, make a double batch for an easy meal another day.
- Be sure to check out my best timesaving tools at my Amazon shop.
How to Cook White Rice for Soup
I like to cook rice for soup on my stove top.
1.Add a cup of rice to 2 cups of water in a saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes without lifting lid.
3. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Yes, place the cooked soup in a freezer bag or similar container. To cook, heat on the stovetop or place in the crock pot from frozen.
Yes, you can add red, orange or yellow peppers to this soup. It makes it very colorful!
Yes, this soup is perfect for Meatless Monday or any day of the week by skipping the meat and using a vegetable broth.
More Great Soup Recipes
Unstuffed Pepper Soup
- 2 small green bell peppers
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 4 cups beef broth
- ½ cup onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 cup white long grain rice cookied
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large pot or dutch oven dish, sauté onion and bell peppers in olive oil until onion is translucent. Set sautéd vegetables aside in a dish.
- If you have not cooked the rice, prepare the rice in a separate pot. (Add a cup of rice to 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cover.)
- In the same pot that you cooked the vegetables, brown the Ground beef over medium-high heat, stirring often, Once meat is browned, drain beef.
- Add tomatoes and sautéd veggies to the ground beef.
- Add broth, tomato soup and spices.
- Add cooked rice to the soup.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are tender. I like to serve with a few pieces of chopped parsley.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season that the entire family is sure to love and also a few things that I don’t share here.