This easy recipe for Mardi Gras Muffalettas is a great way to celebrate Mardi Gras! These delicious sandwiches are full of flavor and are great any time of year.
Muffalettas! Beads! Happy times!
Mardi Gras is coming soon, and although I do not need an excuse for a party, this is as good as any. Mardi Gras or “Fat Tuesday”, is the prelude to Lent, the 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter.
Traditionally, in the days leading up to Lent, people would have one big party and eat tons of food as they prepared for fasting during those 40 days.
While I have been to New Orleans, I have never been during Mardi Gras festivities. I hear it is pretty crazy, so my friends and I are having our own little party here in California.
We made some wonderful Muffaletta sandwiches for the gathering.
In New Orleans, there are lots of parties and parades. The traditional colors of Mardi Gras are Purple, Yellow and Green representing justice, power, and faith, respectively.
Masks and beads are fun party accessories and the festivities would not be complete without Zydeco Music. We incorporated the colors into our server ware.
Here is a recipe for tasty Muffalettas – sandwiches I made for the party.
It is all in the delicious filling that is full of flavor.
Fun for a Mardi Gras party! Be sure to check out these other great recipes for Mardi Gras:
- Mardi Gras Cake Recipe – a beautiful and delicious cake that is not hard to make.
- Scalloped Potatoes – Potatoes, butter, and just a little bit of cheese make these a wonderful side dish.
- Cauliflower Au Gratin – A lighter side dish for the season.
Mardi Gra Muffaletta Sandwich Recipe
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, drained and chopped
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) ripe olives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 lb thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 lb sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 lb thinly sliced cotto salami
- 1/4 lb sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 loaf french bread
1. In a bowl mix together both types of olives, both vinegars, olive oil, garlic, basil and oregano.
2. Remove the inside of the bottom half of the french bread and spread olive mixture over the bottom bread.
3. Then layer slices of salami, mozzarella cheese, salami and provolone cheese on the sandwich.
$. Top with bread top.
Remove the inside of the bottom half of the french bread and spread olive mixture over bread.
Then layer slices of salami, mozzarella cheese, salami and provolone cheese on the sandwich.
Put top of bread on sandwich and cut into serving size sandwiches. Makes about 1 dozen sandwiches.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe for Mardi Gras Muffalettas.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner’s Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
Let the good times roll! Have you ever been to a Mardi Gras celebration?