A delicious Irish Meat Pies recipe that makes for a delicious meal idea or appetizer. These fully enclosed pies are made with ground beef, cabbage, and potatoes, and come together in about 30 minutes.
These handheld pies are a great party food or tv watching snack and can be made ahead of time.
Why This Recipe
Irish Meat Pies are made from refrigerated pie crust which saves some prep time. I use ground sirloin or ground beef, vegetables, and spices to make a tasty all-in-one dinner or snack idea.
This recipe uses cabbage and potatoes, but you can add carrots if you like.
The result is a hearty stuffed pie with a buttery crust that goes perfectly with a salad or soup.
These also make a fun snack or dinner idea for St. Patrick's day. Serve then with this Shamrock punch for a festive meal.
Ingredients For Irish Meat Pies
Sirloin - You can ground sirloin or ground beef for this recipe. I have not tried it with ground turkey, but I imagine that it would work too.
Pie Crust - I am a big fan of refrigerated pie crusts. They save valuable time and taste great in so many pie and hand pie recipes.
Potatoes - I suggest red potatoes for this recipe. You can use white potatoes as a substitute.
Tomato Paste - A component of the sauce.
Cabbage - green cabbage
- Cast iron or heavy bottom frying pan
- Wooden spoon
- Pastry brush
- Cutting board or pastry mat
- drinking glass or round cookie cutter
How to Make Irish Meat Pies
1 Saute the potatoes and cabbage in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Cook the ground sirloin or ground beef until browned.
3. To the beef mixture, add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, potatoes, cabbage,
4. Cut circles in pie crust. Top each circle with 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture.
Fold over each circle and seal rim using fork pressed into the dough to seal.
Timesaving Tips For this Recipe
- While using a pie crust is traditional, using a can of rolled out biscuits is a beautiful
twist on this already delicious recipe.
- Using various sized cookie or biscuit cutters worked well with the pie crust, regardless of shape
- You can prepare the pie crust circles ahead of time. Store on waxed paper in the refrigerator until ready to fill.
What Should I Serve With Irish Meat Pies?
Irish meat pies go great with potato chips or vegetables. You can also pair them with soup.
Can You Freeze Irish Meat Pies?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked meat pies. Let cool after fully baked and wrap in foil. Place into a freezer-safe bag for up to 2 months.
Does this recipe have alcohol in it?
No, this recipe does not call for beer or alcohol in the meat pies.
Irish Meat Pies
- 2 tablespooons olive oil
- ¼ head green cabbage, sliced and shredded very thin
- ¼ pound red potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 Ready to bake pie crust
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Add two tablespoons of oilive oil to a heavy or cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Aadd diced potatoes and shredded cabbage to skillet.
- Sautee for 5-7 mins until it begins to turn brown.
- Remove from the pan and add ground beef into the pan.
- Cook until meat is browned, then add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, potatoes, cabbage, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook another 3-4 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in ½ cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low for 10 mins allowing the potatoes time to become soft. Stir often to ensure that mixture does not burn.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Once the potatoes are soft, let mixture cool a few minutes.
- Cut out 3" - 5" circles of the refrigerated pie crust using a glass or biscuit cutter.
- Place about 1-2 tablespoons of the meat micture on one side of the crust circles.
- Fold over the circles and seal with a fork all around the half circle. Pierce the dough with the fork a few times, or cut 3 slits on the top of the pies for steam release while baking.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Using a pastry brush, brush top of each pie with the egg wash.
- Bake on a cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage- Corned beef, cabbage and other vegetables come together for a hearty meal in your slow cooker.
Simple Shepherds Pie - This recipe is made with ground beef (not lamb) for a delicious savory dinner.
Sloppy Joe Casserole - The delicious flavor of sloppy joes in a casserole.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.