Adorable and tasty, these sweet and salty Grinch Pretzel Bites are the perfect fast, easy, and impressive treat to take to your next holiday get-together. If you want to hear everyone say, "Awww. What a great idea!" this is the recipe you should make.
These are Grinch Pretzel bites are also great to enjoy while watching a Grinch movie!
Why This Recipe
Fast. You can make these quick Grinch Pretzel Bites in about ten minutes and have them ready for your party in under two hours. They need two minutes in the oven for the chocolate to melt and two hours or less in the refrigerator chilling!
Easy. Use store-bought ingredients to make a delicious chocolate treat. No stirring, sifting, rising, or measuring is needed.
Adorable. Everybody loves Grinch, and these treats will bring out the best in all of the guests. It's a quick, finger food bite that looks cute!
Ingredients for Grinch Pretzel Bites
- Butter Snap Pretzels. These are flat grid-like pretzels and form a nice base for melted chocolate.
- Hershey Hugs Candies. This variety has a combination of white and milk chocolate.
- White Chocolate Chips. Ghirardelli is the best brand!
- Green Gel Food Coloring. The gel is necessary because you don't want to add water (in liquid food coloring) to the melted chocolate chips.
- Large Heart Sprinkles. The necessary finishing touch to bring out the Grinch reform in all of us. You can find these at your local craft supply store in the cake and candy making aisle.
How to Make Grinch Pretzel Bites
The full recipe instructions for this copycat recipe are in the recipe card, below but here is a step by step overview.
Step 1 - Preheat your oven to 350ºFand line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper. Lay 70 butter snap pretzels in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
Step 2 - Add an unwrapped Hershey's hug candy to each pretzel. Bake in the oven for about 2 minutes, until the candies start to look shiny.
Step 3 - Remove the sheet pan from the oven, and top each candy with another butter snap pretzel as if you were making a sandwich. Move the candies to the refrigerator to chill for about 2 hours.
Step 4 - Once the candies have set, use a double boiler to melt the white chocolate chips. Once they’ve melted, add several drops of green gel food coloring, and stir well to combine until the color is incorporated.
Take each pretzel candy, and dip a corner into the green melted chocolate, coating about half of the candy. Return to the baking sheet, and place a heart sprinkle onto the candy. Once the candies have been coated, move them back to the refrigerator to set for about another hour.
Can I make Grinch heart pretzels gluten-free?
Yes. Just find gluten-free pretzels and the recipe will work perfectly.
Do I have to have a double boiler to melt chocolate?
No. You can follow our instructions below to melt your chocolate chips in the microwave.
Tips for Best Results
If you prefer, you can melt the chocolate chips for your Grinch pretzels in the microwave. Microwave the chips for about thirty seconds and then stir. Repeat this process a few times until they are fully melted. The chips will hold their shape even after they are melted, so make sure to stir each time. Do not overcook the chocolate or it will become clumpy and dry.
Substitutes and Variations
You can use any kind of Hershey's Kiss you like for this Grinch chocolate covered pretzels recipe.
Use different colors to customize these pretzel bites for different holidays or birthdays.
If you can't find pretzel snaps, mini pretzels will work but may be a bit messier to make.
More Great Christmas Treats
Grinch Pretzel Bites
- Half of a 12 oz. bag of butter snap pretzels 140 pretzels total
- 70 Hershey hugs candies
- 3 cups white chocolate chips 1 ½ (12 oz. bags) - Ghirardelli are the best!
- Green gel food coloring
- 70 large Heart sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Lay 70 butter snap pretzels in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Add a Hersheys hug candy to each pretzel.
- Bake in the oven for about 2 minutes, until the candies just start to look shiny.
- Remove from the oven, and top each candy with another butter snap pretzel.
- Move the candies to the refrigerator to chill for about 2 hours.
- Once the candies have set, use a double boiler to melt the white chocolate chips. Once they’ve melted, add several drops of green gel food coloring, and stir well to combine until color is incorporated.
- Take each pretzel candy, and dip a corner into the green melted chocolate, coating about half of the candy.
- Return to the baking sheet, and place a heart sprinkle onto the candy.
- Once all of the candies have been coated, move them back to the refrigerator to set for about another hour.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share delicious recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!