Ready to celebrate in style? Make these beautiful Christmas Cookies with Cake Mix for your next party or event.
Fast and easy to make, these use simple ingredients you already have in the pantry for cookies you can serve in 25 minutes or less. The perfect recipe for the holiday season!
This quick treat for holiday parties is one of our easy Christmas cookie recipes you will want to bookmark for later.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Quick. Skip a step when you use a boxed cake mix for the dry ingredients of this recipe. It's fast and easy! Cookies are out of the oven in 25 minutes and don't need decorating. It's a great recipe for this busy time of year.
Easy Cookie Recipe. If you have a box of cake mix and don't want to run out to the store for a cookie mix, this recipe is perfect for you.
Fun for parties. These pretty holiday cookies are perfect for any holiday party or cookie swap, and they taste great too!
Ingredients for Christmas Cookies with Cake Mix
- Box White Cake Mix. You'll add green food coloring and sprinkles to make your cookies festive.
- Eggs. I recommend large or extra-large eggs.
- Vegetable Oil. A neutral oil such as vegetable or canola is best.
- Green Food Coloring. You can use any type: liquid, gel, or powder.
- Christmas Sprinkles. Pick your favorite holiday sprinkles! You need about 2.5 ounces.
Equipment for Christmas Cookies
- measuring cups
- large bowl
- rubber spatula or spoon
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- cookie scoop
- cookie spatula
- wire rack
How to Make Christmas Cookies with Cake Mix
Step 1 - Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper so that it's ready to go. Add the cake mix, oil and eggs in a large bowl.
Step 2 - Add food coloring to the batter and mix until batter forms a dough.
Step 3 -Use a cookie scoop to gather dough, then dip the rounded side into a bowl of sprinkles.
Step 4 - ,Pplace your cookies sprinkles side up on a prepared baking sheet, 2-3 inches apart.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, until cookies are done, and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer the Christmas cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Tips for Best Results
Do not overbake your cookies. Cookies should always be removed from the oven before they look finished; otherwise, you will have hard and crunchy cookies.
Cookies are ready when they just barely look shiny on the top and barely have browned on the edges, if at all.
Ideally, you will preheat your oven and bake the cookies for an exact amount of time, no more than the time recommended. Ovens vary, so a range of 8-10 minutes is provided, but always check the cookies at the shortest time possible.
Substitutions and Variations
You can use any cake mix you have on hand for this recipe. Chocolate cake mix and yellow cake mix work really well and Red Velvet Cake mix adds a nice festive color. Experiment with other cake mixes.
Instead of sprinkles, you can use course sugar for a shiny effect.
While these make perfect Christmas Cookies you can also change up the color and sprinkles to customize this recipe for any occasion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a gluten-free cake mix for this Christmas Cookie recipe?
Yes! I have tried this before, and it works. The cookies will be slightly different.
How do I know when the cookies are done?
For the perfect cookie, preheat your oven fully before you begin. Place a single tray in the center of the oven, and bake the cookies for the exact time listed in the recipe. Remove the cookies within the 8-10 minute time frame, as soon as they loose that extra shiny look on top or when one or two cookies have a little browning on the edges. Once you know your oven, you can write an exact time on your recipe card.
More Cake Mix Cookie Recipes
- Grinch Cookies
- Easy Gingerbread Reindeer Cookies Recipe
- Easy Festive Christmas Meringue Cookies Recipe
- Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies
- Santa Cookies
Cake mix cookies are the easiest cookie recipes! Some of my other cake mix recipes are below:
Cake Mix Christmas Cookies
- Large Bowl
- cookie spatula
- Cooling rack
- Cookie scoop optional
- Baking Sheet
- Rubber Spatula
- 15.25 oz box white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 8 drops green food coloring
- 2.5 oz container Christmas Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the cake mix, oil, eggs, and food coloring to a large bowl, and stir until a dough has formed.
- Use a cookie scoop to gather dough, then dip the rounded side into a bowl of sprinkles, and place sprinkles side up on a baking sheet, 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until cookies are done, then allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season that the entire family is sure to love and also a few things that I don’t share here.