This light and easy Pineapple Upside Down cake is delicious and colorful. A perfect summer dessert for a barbecue or luau party. This recipe reminds me of the luau parties my parents hosted when I was a kid.
Tiki lights or not, this retro dessert recipe, is a great one to serve any time of year. You can use fresh or canned pineapple.
Why This Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Hello Friends! Ever since my trip to Hawaii last week, I have been craving some sweet flavors from the islands. This pineapple dessert idea is just one of those recipes that enables me to savor the flavors of my vacation.
This is the BEST pineapple upside-down cake as it is light and fluffy and perfectly captures the pineapple flavor. Brown sugar gives the pineapple the perfect amount of sweetness and this cake is made in the classic retro style.
Made with a boxed cake mix, it saves time in preparing this classic dessert recipe. It is making a comeback now and I have to say I have missed seeing this cake at parties like I did when I was a kid.
This This is one of my favorite pineapple dessert recipes and I love the great light taste of the cake.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ingredients
Cake Mix - I recommend a vanilla or white cake mix
Brown Sugar - You can use light or dark. I usually use light.
Pineapple - Fresh or canned works for this recipe.
Butter - I prefer butter over margarine.
Cherries - Maraschino cherries
If you love this recipe as much as we do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Pinterest!
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup butter softened plus
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 8 oz can pineapple slices and juice
- ½ jar of maraschino cherries
- ½ cup of water
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Melt ¼ cup of butter in 8 x 13 baking pan while oven is warming up.
- Sprinkle 1 cup brown sugar all over the bottom of the baking pan with melted butter.
- Add pineapple slices and cherries to bottom of butter and brown sugar mixture with a cherry in the center of the pineapple slice.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, combine cake mix, 2 eggs, ½ cup melted butter, one half cup water, and remaining pineapple juice from can.
- Mix together and pour the batter over the pineapple and cherries in pan.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 45 to 55 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Immediately upon removing cake from oven, use a knife to loosen the edges of the pan.
- Invert onto a platter and let cool before serving.
More Summer Cake Recipes
For more great easy dessert recipes:
Mango Coconut Cake - A beautiful light cake that is topped with Macadamia Nuts
Coconut Lime Cupcakes - A wonderful treat for a summer party or luau!
Simple Scone Recipes - A perfect round up of scones for a luncheon or tea party.
Chantilly Cake - A delightful berry cake
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
What flavors have you been craving lately?
It's one of my favorites - a perfect classic! And yours looks so luscious that I can almost taste it.
That looks absolutely delicious! I want a slice now 🙂
Ooo this looks sooooo good, I can see why it is having a comeback. I will have to try my hand at this!
Allie of ALLIENYC
Thank you Allie!