This light and easy Pineapple Upside Down cake is delicious and colorful. A perfect summer dessert for a barbecue or luau party. This recipe reminds me of the luau parties my parents hosted when I was a kid.
You know we are all about easy recipes, and this one has been streamlined to just a few simple ingredients to make it simple.
This is one of our many easy cake recipes you will want to bookmark for later.
Why This Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Hello Friends! Ever since my trip to Hawaii last week, I have been craving some sweet flavors from the islands. This pineapple dessert idea is just one of those recipes that enables me to savor the flavors of my vacation.
Delicious - This is the BEST pineapple upside-down cake as it is light and fluffy and perfectly captures the pineapple flavor. Brown sugar gives the pineapple the perfect amount of sweetness and is made in the bottom of the cake when baked.
Classic - This is a streamlined version of those classic recipes for an old fashioned pineapple upside down cake. My mom used to make this for their tiki parties as a fun luau dessert. Tiki lights or not, this retro dessert recipe, is a great one to serve any time of year. You can use fresh or canned pineapple for this delicious dessert.
Easy - This is an easy pineapple upside down cake made with cake mix. The top of the cake is festive for a fun and easy dessert.
Made with a boxed cake mix, it saves time in preparing this classic dessert recipe. It is making a comeback now and I have to say I have missed seeing this delicious cake at parties like I did when I was a kid.
This This is one of my favorite pineapple dessert recipes and I love the great light taste of the cake.
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ingredients
Cake Mix - I recommend a vanilla or white cake mix. You can use your favorite boxed cake mix.
Brown Sugar - You can use light or dark. I usually use light.
Pineapple - Fresh or canned works for this recipe.
Butter - I prefer butter over margarine.
Maraschino Cherries - Maraschino cherries are a classic pineapple upside down cake ingredient
Substitutions and Variations
- crushed pineapple may be substituted for chunks or rings.
- you can sub a box of yellow cake mix for white if that is what you have on hand.
If you love this recipe as much as we do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Pinterest!
How to Make an Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Step 1 - In a large bowl, prepare cake mix according to package directions. Set aside.
Step 2 - Prepare brown sugar and canned or fresh pineapple and maraschino cherry mixture and place in pan.
Step 3 - Pour cake batter over fruit mixture and bake as directed.
Note Refer to recipe card for step-by-step directions
Timesaving and Helpful Tips
- Have all of the ingredients at room temperature
- Let cake cool in the pan for about 10-15 minutes after removing it from the oven.
- To remove, place a serving plate upside down on top of the pan and carefully flip them together. Tap the bottom of the pan gently to release the cake. Slowly lift the pan, and the cake should now be right-side-up on the serving plate with the caramelized topping on top.
- To store - wrap with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container. Store it at room temperature for up to two days or in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- You can make this dessert ahead of time. It is great served with a dollap of whipped cream.
Can I use different fruits for the topping?
Yes, while it is traditional to use pineapple, you could also use peaches or pears.
How do I prevent the topping from sticking to the pan after baking?
To prevent sticking, it's crucial to grease the pan thoroughly with butter or cooking spray before adding the fruit and batter. You can also line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper for extra insurance
Do I use pineapple rings or chunks for this recipe?
I made this cake using pineapple chunks, but the classic pineapple upside-down cake uses pineapple rings, so you can use either. If using rings, place each cherry in the center of each of the pineapple rings,
More Summer Cake Recipes
Mango Coconut Cake - A beautiful light cake that is topped with Macadamia Nuts
Coconut Lime Cupcakes - A wonderful treat for a summer party or luau!
Simple Scone Recipes - A perfect round up of scones for a luncheon or tea party.
Chantilly Cake - A delightful berry cake
If you are not yet subscribing to my newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- square baking pan or round cake pan
- Hand or stand mixer
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup butter softened plus
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 8 oz can pineapple slices and juice
- ½ jar of maraschino cherries
- ½ cup of water
- Heat oven to 325° F
- Melt ¼ cup of butter in 8 x 13 baking pan while oven is warming up.
- Sprinkle 1 cup brown sugar all over the bottom of the baking pan with melted butter.
- Add pineapple slices and cherries in a single layer to the bottom of the butter and brown sugar mixture. .
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, combine cake mix, 2 eggs, ½ cup melted butter, one half cup water, and remaining pineapple juice from can.
- Mix together and pour batter over the pineapple and cherries in pan.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 45 to 55 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Immediately upon removing cake from oven, use a knife to loosen the edges of the pan.
- Invert onto a platter and let cool before serving.