These delicious chicken pinwheels are an easy appetizer or picnic lunch idea. They are sure to be a favorite snack for your next family gathering.
Why This Recipe Rocks
The perfect party appetizer. These chicken salad pinwheels make the perfect appetizer your guests can pick up with their hands without getting messy. They are two-bite finger food servings that pack in the flavor.
Quick and Easy. You can throw these tortilla pinwheels together very last minute using pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and a handful of store-bought ingredients. Unlike most appetizers, this is not a fancy process.
Lunch Box - This is a fun roll up sandwich to include in lunch boxes and picnic baskets. These are also great as a game day appetizer or tea party food. These are not expensive to make and are a great way to use up leftover chicken.
Delicious Flavor - These are so tasty! We never have leftovers when I make these tortilla roll ups with simple ingredients from the grocery store.
These rolls ups are easy to make with simple ingredients.
- soft flour tortillas (I like the large flour tortillas)
- easy chicken breast or chicken tenders
- cream cheese
- dijon mustard
See recipe card for quantities.
See the step by step process for this easy recipe below.
Step One: In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, Dijon mustard. Add sliced apple, cranberries (soak, slice), chopped pecans.
Step Two: Lay the soft flour tortilla flat on a plate or cutting board
Spread the tortilla with the cream cheese mixture. Repeat for second tortilla.
Step Three: Arrange the slices of cheese.
Top mixture with chicken pieces
Add lettuce leaves
Step Four: Twist a tight roll, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for about an hour.
Cut into 1" rolls and arrange on a serving platter.
Hint: For best results use softened cream cheese when making the filling and use a hand mixer for a thorough blend.
These chicken roll ups are so easy to change up. Check out some of these substitution ideas.
- Lettuce - instead of ice berg lettuce, you can use romaine lettuce or spinach
- Cheese - use Fontina, Cheddar cheese or Provelone iin place of the Gouda
- Wheat Tortilla - You can make a healthier version with wheat tortillas or spinach tortillas.
Experiment with a few ingredients to change these up
- Spicy - add 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper sauce or hot sauce to the cream cheese mixture before rolling up. You can add add a little ranch seasoning to the cream cheese for more flavor.
- Deluxe - add onions and sliced grapes or bacon bits to the chicken mixture.
- Kid friendly -Omit the pecans and possible the dijon mustard. It makes a great kid friendly chicken pinwheel
- Turkey - Check out these Turkey and Cheese Pinwheels on my website!
This is one of those easy recipes that hardly requires any kitchen tools.
- cutting board
- sharp knife
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
These ingredients do not stand up well to freezing.
DO I HAVE TO SOFTEN THE CREAM CHEESE?
No. While it will mix easier if the cream cheese is softened to room temperature if you forget you can still make this appetizer.
CAN I FREEZE CHICKEN PINWHEELS?
Yes. However, cream cheese may change in texture once frozen and it can be off-putting. I would try to avoid this if possible.
Party Favorites - Pinwheel Recipes
- Easy Vegetable Pinwheels - rolled tortillas
- Buffalo Crack Chicken Pinwheels - roll ups with a buffalo chicken dip filling
- Ham and Cheese Roll Ups - made from puff pastry
- 2 tortillas
- 2 cups chicken baked, etc.;
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese;
- 4 slices of sandwich cheese
- 2 green onions;
- 2 tablespoons pecans
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries;
- 1 green apple;
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
- In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, Dijon mustard. Add sliced apple, cranberries (soak, slice), chopped pecans.
- Lay tortillas flat on a plate or cutting board
- Spread the tortilla with the cream cheese mixture.
- Arrange the slices of cheese.
- Top mixture with chicken pieces
- Add lettuce leaves
- Twist a tight roll, send it to the freezer for an hour.
- Cut into 1" rolls and arrange on a serving platter
We hope you enjoyed this easy appetizer recipe. It is perfect for your next party or barbecues.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe to the newsletter here.
I share simple recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
We LOVE chicken pinwheels! They're out for every graduation party and family gathering all summer long. Nothing beats cold, but hearty finger food at a barbecue! Thanks!
This looks amazing!
These are delightful! And I think they would be perfect year-round, like for winter with the cranberries. YUM.