BBQ Grape Jelly Meatballs are a delicious and favorite party food that is sure to be a hit with everyone! These little bites of deliciousness are made by combining grape jelly and barbecue sauce to make a sweet and tangy sauce for the meatballs..
Your favorite bbq sauce is sweetened up with grape jelly to braise store-bought meatballs in a slow cooker until everything is hot and delicious. While there is nothing complicated to this dish, everyone will ask you for the recipe. It's a great recipe for your next party or gathering.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
So easy. This classic recipe for bbq grape jelly meatballs could not be any easier. You literally just dump everything in a crock pot slow cooker, stir it up, turn it on, and walk away. Just three ingredients, and no measuring required and it only takes a few minutes of prep time.
Really tasty. Sometimes easy is not very tasty, but these savory meatballs are the perfect appetizer that everyone will love. These grape jelly bbq meatballs can be served as an appetizer or served over rice for your meal. Add a green salad and dinner is on the table!
Perfect party appetizer. Serve meatballs with toothpicks at a party, serve mini meatball sliders. These crockpot bbq grape jelly meatballs are great for game day. tailgating and holiday parties too!
- Slow Cooker. I recommend getting a simple knob style crock pot. The ones with fancy screens tend to break more often. A six or seven quart slow cooker is great for parties and will hold a lot of meatballs.
- Mixing Spoon or Whisk. Any thing you have for mixing will work. You will mix everything directly in the slow cooker so you won't even need a mixing bowl.
Ingredients for BBQ Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Barbecue Sauce. It doesn't matter which sauce you use. Customize the meatballs by choosing different sauces. You can vary the spice level and flavor considerably and still have an amazing result.
- Grape Jelly. It really doesn't matter what brand of jelly you buy either.
- Frozen Meatballs. Get plain pre-made meatballs. Italian meatballs will have an off-putting spice that doesn't blend well with the sauce ingredients.
How to Make BBQ Jelly Meatballs
You can. use the slow cooker method or stovetop method.
In the slow cooker, stir the bottles of grape jelly and barbecue sauce until combined. A whisk will work really well for this job, but any mixing spoon is good.
Stir in the meatballs until all meatballs are covered in the sauces.You do not need to thaw the meatballs, they will cook from frozen.
Set the slow cooker on high. Cook the bbq grape jelly meatballs for 2-3 hours. Everything should be very hot when the dish is ready.
You can also make grape jelly meatballs on the stove. Place ingredients in a large saucepan and heat over medium heat until meatballs are cooked through.
Variations and Substitutions
Use raspberry jelly, blackberry jelly, or fig jam. Any sweet jelly will work in place of sweet grape jelly in a pinch.
Pick your favorite bbq sauce or go out on a limb and try something new. You really cannot go wrong.
You can also use your favorite meatball recipe to make homemade meatballs
You can use turkey meatballs or chicken meatballs.
If you don't have a slow cooker, you can use a pressure cooker like an Instant Pot and set it to fifteen minutes on high or use the slow cooker setting.
Tips for Best Results
If your sauce doesn't quite cover the meatballs, add a little bit of water at a time and stir it up until the meatballs are mostly covered with sauce. It will all cook down over time.
Keep your slow cooker plugged in and hot at the party or event and your meatballs won't spoil. These will disappear so fast!
Absolutely!!. You can use homemade meatballs.
While you can use beef, turkey or chicken meatballs, make sure to use the plain variety, This recipe does not work well with Italian Style Meatballs as they flavor profile will clash, A plain style of meatball will ensure a balanced flavor profile.
Store them in the refrigerator or freezer in an airtight container or ziploc bag. If storing in the refrigerator, make sure to use them within 2-3 days. If storing in the freezer, they can last up to 3 months.
More Classic Party Appetizer Recipes
More Easy Meatball Recipes
Grape Jelly Barbecue Meatballs
- 1 18 oz barbeque sauce
- 1 18 oz grape jelly
- 1 32 oz bag frozen homestyle meatballs
- In the slow cooker, stir the bottles of grape jelly and barbeque sauce until combined
- Stir in the meatballs until all meatballs are covered in the sauces
- Set on high and cool for 2-3 hours
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season that the entire family is sure to love and also a few things that I don’t share here. I will email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!