These Easy Pesto Pinwheels are stuffed with a lovely cream cheese and pesto filling. This recipe makes an easy appetizer or small meal idea.
This pesto pinwheels recipe is the perfect recipe for a party snack. Great for a tailgate party, bunco night or a gathering any time of year.
We love appetizer recipes and this is one of our Easy Pinwheels and Roll Up recipes you will want to bookmark for later.
These also look great on party platters
Why This Recipe
Easy Recipe. Roll ups and pinwheels are easy appetizer ideas for any gathering. Made with simple ingredients in just minutes.
Make Ahead. One of the best part is that this is the perfect appetizer to make ahead easily. They also make a great make ahead lunch box idea.
Festive and Fun. These easy pinwheels are fun! Use your favorite pesto sauce for these. You can also easily change up this simple appetizer recipe.
Pesto Pinwheel Recipe Ingredients
- flour tortillas
- cream cheese
- pesto sauce - homemade pesto or store-bought pesto works
- parmesan cheese
- sun dried tomatoes
See recipe card for quantities.
Substitutions & Variations
- Cheese - Change it up with a different cheese, instead of Permesan, try cheddar cheese or
- Veggies - use gluten free buns instead of white bread buns to make this gluten free
- Vegetarian - use vegan pesto and vegetarian tortilla wraps
- sundried tomato pesto - sun-dried tomato pesto
- red peppers
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Medium bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Large serrated knife, like a bread knife
How to Make Pesto Pinwheels with Cream Cheese
Step 1 - In a large bowl, mix cream cheese and pesto sauce.
Step 2 - Use about 3 tablespoons of pesto on the tortilla.
Step 3 - Spread cream cheese mixture in a thin layer on tortilla.
Step 4 - Add chopped red peppers on pesto layer.
Step 5 - Roll tortilla up tightly and wrap in plastic wrap. Cool in the refrigerator 30 - 60 minutes.
Slice with a sharp serrated knife and place slices on serving dish.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Timesaving Tips and Helpful Hints
- Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature before mixing it with the other ingredients.
- To make this recipe even easier, use store-bought pesto instead of homemade.
- For a spicier version, add some chopped jalapeno peppers or a few dashes of hot sauce.
- To make this recipe ahead of time, prepare as directed and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- You can also use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas for a gluten-free version of this recipe.
More Roll Up and Pinwheel Recipes
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
- Measuring cups, small bol, spoon, plastic wrap, cutting boards, knife
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup basil pesto
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 3 oz package sun dried tomatoes
- 4 large flour tortillas
- Add the cream cheese, basil pesto, and parmesan cheese to a small bowl, and stir well to combine.
- Divide mixture between each of the tortillas, and spread to the edges.
- Arrange ¼ of the sun dried tomatoes on each tortilla.
- Start at one end, and tightly roll the tortilla into itself, meeting at the either end.
- Wrap tortilla in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour, or until ready to serve.
- Unwrap, and cut into one inch pieces, discarding (or snacking on) the ends.
- Arrange on a platter or tray to serve.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season that the entire family is sure to love and also a few things that I don’t share here.