This Baileys hot chocolate recipe is the perfect hot toddy for a cold winter evening. It's time for a delicious seasonal cocktail for the holiday season.
This rich and creamy hot chocolate drink is topped with whipped cream or marshmallows and a chocolate sauce.Jump to Recipe
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Cozy. Spiked hot chocolate is a nice way to enjoy a little cocktail during the winter months. When curling up next to a fire or under a blanket on a cold winter day, this hot chocolate drink is full of comfort and warmth.
Tasty .This hot beverage is full of chocolate goodness with a nice little kick from the Irish cream (which is made from Irish Whiskey).
Easy. With just a few simple ingredients, this Irish hot chocolate can be ready to enjoy in just minutes.
Just a few simple ingredients are needed for this recipe. Refer to the recipe card for the measurements.
- Cocoa powder - use a quality brand
- Milk - I prefer whole milk.
- Baileys Irish cream liqueur - You can find this at most grocery stores or you favorite liquor store. Baileys is an alcoholic beverage made of Irish whiskey and heavy cream.
- semi sweet or milk chocolate chips - Use your favorite brand
- chocolate syrup
- marshmallows - I like the mini marshmalloes.
How to Make Irish Hot Chocolate
The full recipe instructions for crumbl copycat recipe are in the recipe card, below but here is a step by step overview of the recipe
Combine milk and sugar into a sauce pan on medium high heat.
Add cocoa powder to sweetened milk mixture.
Add chocolate chips and reduce melted chocolate mixture to medium-low heat.
Add splash of Bailey's and blend well. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Substitutions & Variations
There are a few ways you can change this up.
- Slow cooker - instead of ice berg lettuce, you can use romaine lettuce or spinach
- Hot Chocolate Mix - use hot chocolate mix or hot chocolate powder in place of the cocoa and sugar.
- Toppings - Change up the toppings by substituting the chocolate sauce with different flavors of chocolate - milk chocolate, white chocolate or dark chocolate. You can also sub caramel sauce for the chocolate sauce or top with chocolate shavings.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
The best way to enjoy this beverage is as soon as it is made. Serve with whipped cream or marshmallows topped with chocolate sauce.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
You can double or triple this recipe to make a bigger batch for holiday parties. It also works well in a crock pot.
Yes. Once opened, the bottle should be sealed and refrigerated.
More Delicious Hot Beverage Recipes
Classic Hot Chocolate - My favorite hot cocoa drink that is kid friendly.
Spiked Hot Chocolate - a lovely hot cocktail for a holiday party or dinner.
Peppermint White Russian - Made with coffee liqueur and a hint of peppermint flavor.
Baileys Hot chocolate
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces baileys irish cream
- Mini marshmallows for topping
- Chocolate sauce for topping
- To a medium saucepan, add milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips.
- Heat over medium heat, until chocolate is melted and the mixture is steamy, but be careful not to boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in Baileys.
- Pour into your favorite mugs, top with marshmallows and a drizzle of chocolate sauce, and enjoy!
I hope you loved this fabulous hot toddy recipe. It is perfect for cold evenings and rainy days.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.