Impress your guests and delight your kids with these egg salad tea sandwiches salad. Perfectly hard-boiled eggs are balanced with the smoothness of mayonnaise and a dash of mustard.
These make a lovely addition to your brunch or tea party menu. This is one of my Easy Appetizer recipes I know you’ll want to keep on hand!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Fast. If you use the easy method we linked for hard-boiled eggs, you can have these sandwiches made in less than an hour, with very little hands on work for you. An easy way is to hard-boil your eggs the day before, then can make these sandwiches in about ten minutes.
Easy & Delicious. Just chop your hard-boiled eggs, add a few other ingredients, stir, and spread. Like my classic egg salad sandwich, these mini egg salad sandwiches are an elegant and easy protein for your next brunch.
Nostalgic. Many people love dainty sandwiches because they remember eating them for special occasions growing up. So serving these at your next brunch or afternoon tea is going to get people talking, remembering, and filled with warm fuzzies. Egg salad finger sandwiches are great for a Mother's Day lunch, bridal or baby shower and of course, they are the perfect way to enjoy your next tea party.
This egg salad tea sandwiches recipe can be used to make cute cookie cutter sandwiches ore mini triangle sandwiches.
Ingredients for Egg Salad Tea Sandwiches
- Hard-Boiled Eggs. These are super easy to make using the Instant Pot. They peel very easily with this method.
- Mayonnaise. I like a classic mayonnaise best but you can also use Miracle Whip.
- Mustard. Plain yellow mustard, dijon mustard, or even spicy brown mustard will all work. Dry mustard from your spice cabinet would even work. Honey mustard is not a good option.
- Salt and Pepper. I like to use coarse Kosher salt and freshly ground coarse black pepper.
- Bread. While it is traditional to serve on white bread, you can use the sandwich bread of your choice. This recipe makes enough for four sandwiches and can be doubled as needed.
Equipment and Kitchen Tools Needed
- Instant Pot. This is by far the best way to make hard-boiled eggs.
- Medium Mixing Bowl.
- Knife. You can use a sharp knife, dinner knife or even a fork to chop the eggs up. Alternatively, you can use an egg chopper for perfectly even egg pieces.
Variations and Substitutions
You don't have to use store-bought sandwich bread for these egg salad tea sandwiches. You can also make the sandwiches on mini croissants, deli rolls, Hawaiian sweet rolls, dinner rolls, potato buns, or mini pita pockets.
Add a teaspoon of relish or the skimmed juice from a jar of relish for an extra bump of flavor.
Red pepper flakes add a little bit of heat.
Some people like to add paprika,, onion, green onion, crispy bacon bits, or a little lemon juice for brightness.
Add a piece of lettuce or a sliced tomato to your sandwich. .
How to Make Egg Salad Tea Sandwiches
Egg Salad Tea Sandwiches are very easy to make. Use any recipe to make hard-boiled egg first. You can refrigerate the eggs for one day before using them to make egg salad.
Place eggs in pot with enough cold water to cover the eggs 1". Cook the eggs on high heat until boiling. Cover the lid and turn off heat. Let sit for 10 minutes. When ready, peel the shells and discard.
Chop hard boiled eggs into small pieces.
In a large bowl, add eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper and blend well. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread the egg salad mixture on 4 slices of bread. Top with the remaining bread.
Store any leftover egg salad in a covered container in the refrigerator. Use remaining egg mixture within a day or so.
For a more decorative touch, you can cut the bread slices with cookie cutters.
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- For best results, serve the sandwiches soon after preparing.
- You can cut crusts off of bread for a classic egg salad tea sandwich.
- If traveling with the sandwiches, cover sandwiches with a damp tea towel or damp paper towels and wrap with plastic wrap to keep fresh.
- Instead of cutting the sandwiches into triangles, use cookie cutters or sandwich cutters to make them into cute shapes!
- While the sandwiches are best enjoyed the day they are prepared, you can boil the eggs the day before and keep them in the refrigerator.Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe if you are serving these tea sandwiches for a party or gathering.
Yes, you can. While they are traditionally made with white bread, you can use wheat or any other type of bread.
Make them the day you plan to serve them. After making them, cover the with a damp tea cloth and plastic wrap to keep the sandwiches from drying out.
Yes, as long as they stay refrigerated, these make terrific picnic sandwiches.
What to Serve With Egg Salad Tea Sandwiches
Perfect to serve with a special afternoon tea, these sandwiches are also fun for lunch boxes, afternoon snacks, a Sunday brunch or any time you want to serve up something special. Serve along with fresh fruit or fruit salad, croquettes, green salad or alongside potato cheese soup.
More Great Tea Party Recipes
Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
Egg Salad Tea Sandwiches
- 8 hard-boiled eggs peeled
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ¼ salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 8 slices bread
- Rinse peeled eggs and pat dry.
- Chop eggs and place in a medium bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper, and blend.
- Spread on 4 bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Cut into triangles.
Store covered in refrigerator 2-3 days.