Are you looking for a delicious and hearty soup to enjoy this winter? Look no further than ChickFilA's Chicken Tortilla Soup.
This famous soup is a blend of vegetables, chicken breasts, black beans, and cannellini beans, all in a tasty broth. So if you want to recreate this soup in the comfort of your own kitchen, here's a great recipe!
Why this recipe
This soup is so hearty and flavorful and is the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter's day. Plus, it's packed with protein from the chicken and beans, so you'll get plenty of nutrition in each serving.
It is the perfect comforting soup to enjoy on a chilly day, and it's a great way to enjoy a fast food favorite at home. Plus, it's easy to make in an Instant Pot or slow cooker for a stress-free dinner.
Chick fil a tortilla soup Ingredients
- Chicken breasts - boneless and skinless (or rotisserie chicken)
- Chicken stock - or chicken broth
- Cannellini beans - canned
- Black beans - canned
- Cream-style corn
- Whole kernel corn - canned
- White onion - diced
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Seasoned tortilla strips - for topping
If you're looking for a kick of heat in your copycat soup, add in some extra green chilies or chili powder, or even hot sauce.
Add a bit of heavy cream for an even creamier soup.
Experiment with using other kinds of beans if you like.
You can also use canned diced tomatoes and green chilies instead of Rotel.
How to make this creamy chicken tortilla soup recipe
- In the instant pot insert, add chicken breasts and two cups water. Place the lid on the instant pot and turn the valve to the sealed position.
- Set to high pressure for 40 minutes (thick large chicken breasts need 40 minutes from frozen and 30 minutes not frozen).
- Once the instant pot stops counting, release pressure. Drain juice. Shred chicken. If you want to skip this step, you can just replace it with rotisserie chicken.
In the instant pot, add olive oil and onions. Set pot to saute on normal heat and cook for 3 minutes. Turn off saute mode. Add in shredded chicken.
Drain black beans and whole-kernel corn. Pour in black beans, corn, one can of cannellini beans, and Rotel. Give it a stir. Add in creamed corn and whole-kernel corn. Stir.
Add in chicken broth, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir well. Turn on sauté mode
In a blender, blend the second can of cannellini beans. Pour this into the instant pot. Once it comes to a boil, turn instant off and then turn it on to keep warm. The soup is now ready to serve.
Top with seasoned tortilla strips. You can find these in the salad toppings section.
Timesaving Tips for best results
- Make sure to cook the chicken fully in the Instant Pot before shredding
- Don't overfill the Instant Pot, or it may not come up to pressure correctly
- If you want a thinner soup, add more chicken stock.
- For an extra kick of flavor, try adding a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Do not overcook the beans, as they will become mushy
- If you do not have an Instant Pot, you can let your soup simmer in a large soup pot on the stove.
- You can use a can of navy beans instead of cans of cannellini beans if you cannot find them at the store.
- Add a little bit of mashed beans back to the soup for a thicker texture.
You can. Just start after step three pictured above and the entire dinner comes together in about 20 minutes.
Place leftovers in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Top with your favorite toppings, such as crispy tortilla strips or tortilla chips, green onion, a dollop of sour cream, cheese, a squirt of lime juice or lemon juice, and/or avocado slices!
More great copycat recipes
- HOMEMADE MUSHROOM SOUP COPYCAT CAMPELL'S
- CRUMBL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES COPYCAT RECIPE
- SALTED CARAMEL COLD BREW (STARBUCKS COPYCAT)
- STARBUCKS STRAWBERRY ACAI REFRESHER RECIPE (COPYCAT)
More Easy Soup Recipes
Chick Fil A Chicken Tortilla Soup
- instant pot
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast or rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups water if cooking chicken
- 1 32 oz. chicken stock
- 2 15 oz. cans cannellini beans
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 10 oz. can rotel
- 1 15 oz. can creamed corn
- 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn
- 1 white onion; diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Seasoned tortilla strips for topping
- In the instant pot insert, add in chicken breasts and two cups water. Place lid on instant pot and turn valve to sealed position. Set to high pressure for 40 minutes (thick large chicken breasts need 40 minutes from frozen and 30 minutes not frozen). Once the instant pot stops counting release pressure. Drain juice. Shred chicken. If you want to skip this step you can just replace with rotisserie chicken.
- In the instant pot insert add olive oil and onions. Set pot to saute on normal heat and cook for 3 minutes. Turn off saute mode. Add in shredded chicken. Drain black beans and whole kernel corn. Pour in black beans, corn, one can of cannellini beans, and rotel. Give it a stir. Add in creamed corn and whole kernel corn. Stir.
- Add in chicken broth, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir well. Turn on saute mode.
- In a blender, blend the second can of cannellini beans. Pour this into the instant pot. Once it comes to a boil turn instant off and then turn on keep warm. The soup is now ready to serve.
- Top with seasoned tortilla strips. You can find these in the salad toppings section.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share easy recipes for the season and a few things that I don't share here. I email you only once a week as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!