A Valentines Sugar Cookie Recipe that is perfect for decorating and tastes great too! It's one of my favorite Valentine's Cookie recipes. Perfect for a Valentine's Day party or as a treat for family and friends, these heart-shaped treats are delicious. You might also like this easy Shortbread recipe too!
Hello Friends! We are getting lots of rain (finally) here in Southern California. When it rains and is cold out, it pretty much turns into the baking season in my kitchen.
Today I am sharing one of the Best Valentine’s Sugar Cookies Recipes that I use. These are the perfect cookies for tea parties, school parties, family treats or a Galentine's celebration.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
What I love about these cookies is that they are light and crisp on their own, but especially nice with a touch of icing. They are perfect to gift to friends and family too! They work really well with cookie cutters as they hold their shape while baking.
They not only hold up well to icing, they really taste great too. I use a light vanilla icing on mine.
I have been enjoying these lately while doing some beginning of year planning. I am planning personal goals as well as topics for this blog.
By the way, for those of you who have completed my reader survey, thank you! It is so good to hear from you and really helps me determine what to share here. If you have not completed one, please take a couple of minutes as it would really help me out. It is only 10 questions and there is an incentive for you too!
On to Valentine’s Day Planning! As you know, we have celebrated Valentine’s day in the past. There is just something special about celebrating friendship and loved ones. I still like to give little Valentine’s gifts to friends just to let them know that I care about them. For these great cookies, all you need is a Ann Clark Heart Cookie Cutter - 3.25 Inches - Tin Plated Steel" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">cute cookie cutter.
Ingredients for Valentines Sugar Cookies
- butter softened (room temperature)
How To Make Heart Sugar Cookies
- Mix together sugar, butter vanilla, egg, and milk.
- Add dry ingredients to a separate bowl and combine with butter mixture.
- Mix well (for best results use an electric mixer or use your hands)
- Roll dough into a ball and cover with waxed paper. Chill dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Roll out dough to ¼" thickness and cut with a heart cookie cutter.
- Place on greased, non-stick or parchment-covered cookie sheet.
- Bake as directed and decorate when cookies are cool. Icing recipe is below.
- You can make the dough ahead of time and store the dough in your refrigerator. I highly recommend making them the day or morning of and then you can bake them and have them ready to decorate later.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper. This really saves on clean up and makes the cookies easy to lift off of the pan.
Don't forget to pin this recipe.
Be sure to check out my other Valentine’s Day dessert recipes:
Valentine’s Day Heart Cookies – A soft cream cheese cookie that is sure to make someone smile.
Easy Valentine’s Day Gift Idea – a fun gift idea for kids to make for family members.
Valentine’s Day Cookie Round up – A whole round-up of Valentine’s Day Cookie Recipes.
Valentine's Day Snacks for Kids - Lots of idea for kid snacks
Decorated Valentines Sugar Cookie Recipe
Valentines Sugar Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour½ teaspoon salt
- icing recipe below
- Mix together the butter and sugar, vanilla, milk and egg in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Mix well (for best results use an electric mixer or your hands)
- Roll dough into a ball and cover with waxed paper.
- Chill dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Roll out dough to about ¼" thickness on a flat surface and cut with cookie cutter.
- Place on parchment covered cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool before decorating
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
pink or red food coloring
Mix together powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl.
add just enough coloring for the desired shade of pink.
Drizzle and spread over cookies.
Let dry completely before serving.
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
Will you be celebrating Valentine's Day or Galentine's Day, or both?
For moreFor some great cookie ideas, check out these (click on photo)
For Valentine's celebration ideas, check out these fun Valentine's crafts and recipes.
Easy Valentines Day Snacks for Kids