My Easy Hoisin Sauce Recipe is sweet and spicy umami with just the right amount of tanginess to be the perfect complement to your Asian stir fry and your favorite grilled meats.
Used this sauce as a marinade, a basting sauce, a stir fry sauce, a dipping sauce or even as an ingredient in salad dressing! If you have ever wondered how to make hoisin sauce, we've got you covered.
What Is Hoisin Sauce
Get ready to elevate your taste buds with the irresistible flavor of this homemade hoisin sauce recipe! This sweet and savory condiment is like nothing you've ever tasted before.
Made from a blend of soybeans, garlic, vinegar, and spices, hoisin sauce is the perfect addition to any dish that needs a little extra flavor. With its thick and sticky texture and deep, rich color, hoisin sauce is a crowd-pleaser that can be used as a marinade, glaze, or dipping sauce for a variety of meats, vegetables, and noodles. This tangy, sweet sauce is popular in Chinese food and other asian dishes.
So go ahead and add a dollop of this delicious sauce to your stir fries
Why This Recipe
It's easy. So many times the recipes for stir fry sauce are complicated and include hard to find ingredients. You are going to be shocked at how easy this hoisin sauce is to make.
Seven ingredients. You don't have to measure and combine fifteen ingredients to make this delicious sauce. Just stir together seven basic ingredients, most of which are already in your pantry.
Delicious flavor. Just the right amount of chili sauce takes this hoisin sauce over the top without killer heat. Tahini brings the warmth and intensity from toasted sesame seeds into the mix. Soy and garlic are classic crowd pleasers and this combination is hard to beat mixed with noodles or stir fry or basted onto your meats on the grill.
Just a few simple ingredients are needed for this flavorful sauce.
- Soy Sauce. A good quality soy sauce fro the grocery store or Tamari sauce is perfect.
- White Distilled Vinegar. A nice plain vinegar works well in recipes, but you can also use rice wine vinegar if you prefer.
- Vegetable Oil. Canola oil will also work. Olive oil has too much flavor and would be at odds with this recipe.
- Garlic. Minced, real garlic.
- Honey. For sweet flavor. If you do not have honey, white sugar is a good option for a substitute.
- Tahini. This is a paste made from ground sesame seeds which is used often in Asian cooking. Peanut butter is sometimes used as a substitute.
- Chili Sauce. A thick, spicy sauce made from chilis.
- Salt and Pepper. To taste.
How to Make Hoisin Sauce
You will literally just throw all of the ingredients in a saucepan, heat them up, and stir thoroughly. That's it. Your sauce will be ready to go and can be stored in the refrigerator for future use. Here's what you need to make your own hoisin sauce.
This homemade hoisin sauce recipe is great to use in stir fries (both chicken and beef) and just about any seafood dish. It adds authentic flavor and is cheaper to make than buying supermarket hoisin sauces.
And homemade versions don't have added preservatives.
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Heat over medium-high heat until honey melts and all the flavors come together.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator. A glass jar with lid works perfectly.
- Small bowl.
- Airtight Container.
Tips for the Best Hoisin Sauce
Tahini can be made from hulled or unhulled sesame seeds. The tahini made from hulled seeds has less fiber but will also result in a smoother, creamier and less bitter end-product.
I highly recommend mincing garlic with a garlic press. It's a wise investment if you plan to use garlic in cooking, since fresh is so much better. Canned minced garlic has a slightly bitter edge that can change the flavor of your food significantly when garlic is key to the flavor profile.
What is hoisin sauce?
This simple sauce is flavored with soy, garlic, honey, tahini, and chili sauce and used in traditional Asian cooking. It is similar to oyster sauce but made without oysters and has more complex flavors.
Is hoisin sauce gluten-free?
No. This sauce is not normally gluten-free, especially if you buy it pre-made. However, to make this homemade hoisin sauce gluten-free, simply make sure your soy sauce is a gluten-free tamari sauce and you will be good to go.
Is hoisin sauce vegan?
No. To make this recipe vegan, you will need to substitute the honey with agave syrup instead.
What does hoisin sauce taste like?
It is a sweet, savory, spicy, umami-rich sauce with a rich fragrance and mouth-watering flavor.
Variations and Substitutions
- Hot sauce may substitute for chili sauce.
- Sesame oil may be used in place of vegetable oil.
- Sesame paste may be used in place of tahini
- This sauce is the perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavor
This hoisin sauce is great with egg rolls, spring rolls and other Asian cuisine. You will find that his sauce has a light salty flavor, so season according to your preference. It makes a great addition to your homemade sauce repertoire.
More Great Sauce & Marinade Recipes
Don't forget to bookmark this recipe.
Easy Hoisin Sauce Recipe
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1-2 teaspoons chili sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and whisk to combine
- Heat over medium-low heat until honey melts and flavors come together
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator
We hope you enjoyed this easy recipe for my best hoisin sauce. If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here.
I share easy recipes to celebrate the season and a few things that I don’t share here. I email you only once a week, as I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! To see what I am up to, check out my stories on Instagram and let me know you are following. It would bring me much joy!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
Leave a Reply