This Simple Green Beans salad recipe is a tasty cold salad recipe that is perfect for any meal, but especially nice for a picnic salad or barbecue side dish. This season I love to create dishes that are easy to pack and go for a meal outdoors.
This cold summer salad recipe is one of those classic recipes that is easy to make. It is a great way to incorporate green beans into your meal plan when they are on sale too!
Hello Friends! I hope you had a lovely weekend! We took advantage of the sun on Saturday and enjoyed a wonderful day in our backyard. We enjoyed the day with friends and watched some of the games on TV.
Why This Green Beans Recipe?
- This marinated green bean salad is perfect for picnics and summer cookouts.
- Made with fresh green beans in a light dressing, this healthy side dish will complement many main dishes.
- This easy side dish comes together in just a few minutes and the light dressing really adds flavor to the green beans.
I love that this recipe reminds me of the salads I used to have as a child.
This recipe includes a red wine vinegar dressing for a wonderful marinated green bean dish.
Ingredients for Green Beans Salad
Green Beans - You will want to use fresh green beans from your farmers market or grocer. Canned green beans will not work.
Tomatoes - You can use any kind of variety. I usually pick the stemmed or Roma Tomatoes, but you can use cherry tomatoes or whatever you have on hand (or is on sale).
Parmesan Cheese - For best results, pick a nice cheese from the deli and grate it. If you want to save money, you can use a jar variety.
Dressing- I have included the basic dressing for this salad. This dressing also works as a nice dressing with other vegetables too. If you are short on time, you can use
- Large pot
- cutting board
- small bowl and spoon for dressing
- large bowl or serving bowl
Chilled green beans are quite refreshing if you have never had them in a salad.
How To Make Cold Green Bean Salad
The cooking process is key. It is important not to over cook the green beans.
- Wash and prepare green beans.
- Place beans in boiling water and cook over high heat 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and rinse in cold water immediately.
- Drain again and pat dry.
- Add dressing to bean mixture and serve or refrigerate.
Don't forget to bookmark or pin this recipe.
- Prepare the green beans ahead of time by washing beans and breaking off the ends.
- Use garlic form a jar or tube in place of fresh garlic.
- You can use a bottled balsamic vinaigrette dressing instead of making your own.
- Prepare extra salad and eat it again for lunch the next day or mix with cooked pasta for a nice meal..
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- You can substitute feta cheese or Mozzarella cheese for the Parmesan.
- You can add a chopped small red onion to this salad.
- You can add other cooked fresh vegetables to this salad such as potatoes or carrots.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
As with most salad side dishes, store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More Side Dishes for Hot Summer Days
Creamy Macaroni Salad – Fresh peppers and creamy dressing make this a favorite year-round.
Broccoli Pasta Salad - a wonderful broccoli salad with pasta. Beautiful and colorful!
Potato Salad -
Quick and Easy Mediterranean Salad – Tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and feta make this salad extra special and colorful.
Mango Arugula Salad – A lovely change with fresh arugula and mango slices.
Salad Supreme Pasta Salad - If you have never tried a salad recipe with this spice - you will want to try this one!
Asian Cucumber Salad - A fresh and crisp cucumber salad with a tangy dressing.
Easy Green Beans Salad
Simple Cold Green Beans Salad
- 1 pound green beans
- ½ onion chopped
- 3 to matoes I used Roma
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- Wash green beans, drain, and snap off ends. Fill a saucepan with water.2, Heat water until boiling3. Place beans in boiling water 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat immediately,and drain beans with a colander.
- Rinse with cold water and drain.
- Pat beans dry with a paper towel.
- Make the salad dressing in a separate bowl.
- Toss warm dressing into green beans and chill in the refrigerator.
- Top with cheese before serving.
Green Bean Salad Dressing
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon mustard
Pinch of black pepper
Mix ingredients in small bowl or mason jar. Blend thoroughly and pour over green beans.
We hope you loved this cold green beans salad recipe. If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe here. I share simple recipes for the season as well as a few things that I don’t share here.
I will email you only once a week. I know how valuable your time is and respect that tremendously!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on Organized Island, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Want to streamline your weekly meals? Check out my Beginner's Guide to Meal Planning book on Amazon.
Nothing here I don't LOVE. I do love chilled green beans in a salad. I think they're wonderful that way. And I love the cheese topping and clear instructions!
The cheese adds just enough flavor to complement the beans nicely!
Love how simple this salad is. Thanks for sharing on MM. Pinned and will be featuring it on tonight's party.
Thanks so much Erlene! 🙂