This recipe for this Sausage Mozzarella pizza was inspired by a wonderful lunch that we had in Rome last year. We had just arrived in Rome and were looking for an outdoor cafe near our hotel. The restaurant was one of many in the historic area. The square is a bustling open market during the day, and turns into a fun and hip entertainment area in the evening.
This pizza tasted so good and as I usually do, I took a photo of it. My husband is used to my ritual of photographing food on our vacation. I like to use the photos for recipe inspiration, if I enjoy the food. Here is the actual pizza at a sweet outdoor cafe in Campo di Fiori.
This was taken as they were removing the open market and preparing the square for the evening. Campo de fiori translates to field of flowers in English.
I loved the pizza so I recreated it when I got home. To save time, you can use a ready-made crust, but it is especially good on a homemade crust.
And to help set the mood, here are a few photographs from Rome.
And here is my Italian Sausage pizza and the recipe!
Italian Sausage Pizza Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 pre-made pizza dough (refrigerated or homemade)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked sweet pork sausage
- 1½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Remove casing from the sausage and cook over medium heat.
- Break up sausage while it cooks into little pieces.
- Once sausage is no longer pink, drain oil and sent aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil and garlic.
- Roll out the prepared pizza dough and place on cookie sheet or pizza stone
- Brush the olive oil and minced garlic mixture on the dough.
- sprinkle ½ cup mozzarella cheese on the pizza.
- Add cooked sausage and mushrooms to the pizza.
- Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with oregano and basil.
- Bake per prepared dough instructions. I like to make it on a pizza stone at 500 and bake 8-10 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
Have you been to Italy? If not, do you like Italian food? Pizza is one of my favorites.