This Easy Homemade Toffee is absolutely delicious! A sweet buttery toffee that only takes a few ingredients to make.
'Tis the season for all things candy! Candy making season is one of my favorite things about this time of year. I love to make this easy homemade toffee recipe for gifts for friends and family.
This is one of my incredibly easy candy recipes you will want to bookmark for later.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Making homemade toffee is so easy! Once you try it - you will be amazed at how easy it is. This recipe just requires three simple ingredients to make.
It is the perfect holiday treat and one that the whole family is sure to love.
Homemade candy is always appreciated as a holiday gift or on your dessert table.
This English toffee looks beautiful in containers on a dessert bar or holiday table. No one will know it just took a handful of ingredients to make.
This easy recipe makes a nice gift idea for friends during the holiday season.
Ingredients For Easy 3 Ingredient Toffee
This best toffee recipe only requires three ingredients.
Butter - use real butter and not margarine.
Sugar - This recipe calls for White sugar.
Amounts listed in recipe card.
Equipment and Kitchen Tools Needed
- Heavy saucepan
- Measuring cup
- Whisk or wooden spoon
- parchment paper
- cookie sheet
- candy thermometer
How to Make Homemade Toffee Candy
Step By Step Instructions
- Add all three ingredients to the saucepan over low heat. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Whisk the hot sugar mixture frequently and be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula frequently.
2. Allow water to boil out and the mixture will begin to darken. Continue whisking until you reach your desired color.
3. Mixture will look a light brown.
4. Pour the toffee mixture out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, and spread into an even layer.
5. Let cool for one hour.
Pro Tips and Timesaver Shortcuts
- Cook toffee until it reaches 295 to 309 °f. This is known as the hard crack phase. (Learn more about the candy making science.)
- Humid climates may affect the time it takes for the toffee to harden.
- Add melted chocolate stripes and/or sprinkles
Variations, Notes, and Substitutions
- Add a layer of chocolate: Melt chocolate chips in the microwave at 30-second intervals until completely melted. You can either drizzle melted chocolate over toffee or dip the cooled toffee pieces in melted milk chocolate.
- Top with some crunchy pecans or candy melts.
Serving and Storage Suggestions
- Store candy in an airtight container.
- You can serve this over ice cream and breaking into little toffee bits on top.
- The toffee is best enjoyed at room temperature, so be sure to cool completely before serving
Can homemade toffee be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze toffee in sealed a freezer-safe container.
Does homemade toffee need to be refrigerated?
No you can store it in a cool dry place. Use parchment paper or waxed paper in between layers so that it doesn't all stick together.
Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted butter?
es, you can use salted butter, but keep in mind that it may affect the overall saltiness of the toffee.
How do I prevent the toffee from sticking to the pan?
Stir the mixture continuously over medium heat and watch it Also, I like to grease the pan before pouring in the toffee to prevent sticking.
More Homemade Candy Recipes
3 Ingredient Toffee
- 2 sticks 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- Add all three ingredients to pan
- Bring to a boil
- Whisk frequently
- Allow water to boil out and the mixture will begin to darken
- Continue whisking until you reach your desired color
- Pour out onto a parchment lined baking sheet
- Let cool for one hour
- Break and enjoy
Add melted chocolate stripes and sprinkles
We hope you enjoyed this easy toffee recipe. Making your own candy is really easy to do!
If you are not yet subscribing to my CELEBRATE THE SEASON newsletter, you can subscribe to the newsletter here. I share easy recipes for the season and a few things that I don’t share here and I email you only once a week.